Onion seeds versus sets

• 21 Replies

Henwoman

• Rainbow Cottages in France
Onion seeds versus sets
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:57 »
I've always grown my onions, except for spring onions, from sets in previous years.   This year I've bought onion seeds.  Does anyone have an opinon about which method is best please?
Sandra

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Onion seeds versus sets
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 13:21 »
I've never had any success with onions from seed. My 150 or so onion plants made a jar of picked onions 2 years ago, whilst the sets, (Centurion), were the best I've ever grown, but I'm not giving up and trying again this year
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

stompy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 13:23 »
When do you plant your onion seeds if you only want average sized cooking not show onions?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 14:25 »
Have a look at this old thread...............and I'll move this into Grow Your Own

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=63142.msg723882#msg723882

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 14:41 »
I've never had any success with onions from seed. My 150 or so onion plants made a jar of picked onions 2 years ago, whilst the sets, (Centurion), were the best I've ever grown, but I'm not giving up and trying again this year

Well, FWIW, I always grew Onions from sets and never had much success, and I had the opinion that growing them from seed was a PITA

Last year I got a couple of freebie Onion seed packets so I had a go. Best Onions I have ever grown, and very little hassle (although I do stuff in modules and pots all the time, so my idea of "not much hassle" may be seen as comparable to climbing the North face of the Eiger by others!)

I think I sowed them in a small seed tray and then pricked out to small modules (but I might have direct sown them in the modules).

When I planted out I untangled all the roots - I must have read that somewhere as normally I avoid root disturbance when planting out.

That's about it! After that I just added water ...

stompy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 14:44 »
So when do you sow them?

Sorry to hijack the post  :blush:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 14:49 »
Now-ish - although last year I think I started them much later. I'll see if I have a note of when.

Edit: Looks like I sowed them on 14-Feb and pricked out to modules on 16-Mar
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 14:53 by Kristen »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 14:50 »
So when do you sow them?

Sorry to hijack the post  :blush:

I've recently sowed some Kelsae, which are grown by most people for exhibition, in the hope of getting some average onions.

This was the result of 2 x 35' rows of onion plants 2 years ago. The rest would not have qualified as spring onions.

I know it's me , otherwise there'd be no such thing as onion seed & exhibition onions.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 16:41 »
Well, FWIW, I always grew Onions from sets and never had much success, and I had the opinion that growing them from seed was a PITA

Last year I got a couple of freebie Onion seed packets so I had a go. Best Onions I have ever grown, and very little hassle (although I do stuff in modules and pots all the time, so my idea of "not much hassle" may be seen as comparable to climbing the North face of the Eiger by others!)

I think I sowed them in a small seed tray and then pricked out to small modules (but I might have direct sown them in the modules).

When I planted out I untangled all the roots - I must have read that somewhere as normally I avoid root disturbance when planting out.

That's about it! After that I just added water ...

Thats really interesting Kirsten. I had the same impression about seed onions from everything i'd read.
I have a pack of White sweet Spanish onions... i might give em a go then...  :)

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 16:49 »

Sorry, what does FWIW and PITA mean? I'm a bit thick when it comes to all the initials people use (there's another on a different thread - DW - anyone know what that stands for?)

I have tried (and failed) to grow onions from seed twice - first lot got eaten by slugs, last years were the size of pickled onions. My sets weren't much better to be fair - my largest were about half the size of a normal onion, my average was golf ball sized! But, I'm trying again this year...with both...I refuse to be beaten! ::)

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 17:04 »

Sorry, what does FWIW and PITA mean? I'm a bit thick when it comes to all the initials people use (there's another on a different thread - DW - anyone know what that stands for?)

I have tried (and failed) to grow onions from seed twice - first lot got eaten by slugs, last years were the size of pickled onions. My sets weren't much better to be fair - my largest were about half the size of a normal onion, my average was golf ball sized! But, I'm trying again this year...with both...I refuse to be beaten! ::)

As a guess "For what it's worth" and "Pain in the ar..".

Re onion sets, I put mine in modules (7x12 i.e. 84 module trays) about the third week in January.  They grow well indoors and I then put them outside in the modules, when they have shown reasonable growth, in a cold frame in February depending a bit upon the weather.  I plant them out in April at the allotment and don't too much then apart from weeding.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 17:29 »

As a guess "For what it's worth" and "Pain in the ar..".

Ah yep, thanks, now you tell me, its obvious! Sat there for ages... ::)

I tried planting up half my sets last year but don't know if they were the larger ones or not - by the time I came to harvest them I'd forgotten whether the ones at the front or the back were from the modules... :unsure:

Dreamer@45

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 12:05 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for being the brave one and stickin yer hand up. They had me sitting here scratching me head too! ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 12:17 »
The site policies do ask posters to avoid using text speak.

This is an example of why.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:44 »
Sorry, I had not thought of them as Text Speak (shows how stupid I am).  I shall desist

xx
Onion sets versus birds - cunning plan?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 10, 2015, 16:18
by Goosegirl
xx
Onion Seeds or Sets?

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 12, 2014, 17:13
by Trillium
xx
onion sets or seeds

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post October 20, 2006, 13:23
by muntjac
xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 40 queries.