very excited

• 6 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
very excited
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:35 »
Have finally ordered chicken coop and enclosure, its all being installed on Fri 8th Oct and we will collect the girls on the Sun. The house is raised up on a stand and will sit outside the enclosure which is 9ft x 9ft. Planning on 3/4 hens. When I get them home should I leave them in the box in the run to get themselves out and into the house when ready or should I put them straight into the house?

bantam novice

Re: very excited
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 09:44 »
I can understand why you are excited  :).  It didn't take me long to become addicted  ::).  My gut feeling would be to leave them to make their own way out of the travelling box in the house with the pophole open if they want to explore; however more experienced ppl here may disagree.  Good luck with them and keep us posted.  Some pics would be great  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 10:04 »
I am sure you will enjoy having your ladies when they arrive.
I was always told to take them out of the box, put them into the coop itself with the door open to the run and eventually they will step out into the run when they are ready.
I did this with mine, they took about an hour to come out. Doing it this way let's them know where it is safe.

Have fun!!!
Alan

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 21:12 »
I would suggest that you get them as late in the day as possible. If it is  dusk by the time you get home while calmly and quietly talking to them put them in their new house with the pop hole/door closed until the morning.

If you come home with your new birds during day light make sure the house door is CLOSED. This is just for an hour otherwise what can easily happen is as you put no. 2 hen in the house no. 1 hen gets a little panicked and will rush out of the pop hole/door into the run and so on. You will end up with 'flapped' chickens in the run who will not remember where they came from. However if you have the pop hole/door closed as you put them all in the back they will remain in the darkened house together. Go back in about an hour and gently open the pop hole/door to the run and they will come out in their own time and then return at bed time as they will have exited the house calmly and will remember where to go. Hope that makes sense.

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 21:34 »
Make sure you dig all your Comfrey up and put in a skip or they will do it for you :D

Welcome to your new, mad life of chicken keeping.

Leave them in the coop when you bring them home until the following morning afterwhich they will be fine. I would recommend you worm them and de-lice them straight away just in case.

You will love every minute.

Enjoy.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 21:56 »
thanks for advice everyone.
Some of comfrey has been rescued and potted up, not sure if it will take but worth a try and anyway it will prob all be dug up again by the girlies :D

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 13:53 »
If it is daytime when you get your girls  put them in the coup with the door open so they can go out if they want to. If it is dark then put them in the coup with the door shut  And let them come out in the morning. Good luck and when you get them don't forget we want pics

xx
Excited

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 13:22
by sorrel
xx
very excited !

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 22:48
by dawnie77
xx
i'm so excited woo hoo!!!

Started by pawsnclaws on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 19:12
by Foxy
xx
Excited

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 10:46
by Aunt Rhody

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 32 queries.