Where to seed?

• 5 Replies

Diggit

Where to seed?
« on: February 25, 2011, 22:35 »
I want to get my seeding done this weekend but I'm not sure where to keep them once planted in the trays. I have the spare room (once I've tidied a space!  ::) ) or the shed. Any thoughts on which would be best?

My first thought is that the shed may be too cold and the spare room may be too warm? It's my first time so was just wondering what would be best. I have the trays with the clear plastic lids if this makes a difference?

Thanks in advance
Paul
Paul

Fisherman

Re: Where to seed?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:46 »
Depends on what your sowing but in general they will need somewhere with good light once your seeds germinate. General vegetable seeds need a temperature of about 18C to get good germination rates. If they don't get enough light your seedlings will go leggy and will not grow on properly. Perhaps in your spare room if its South (ish) facing and near the window. If its got a radiator in it try turning it down if the room is too warm.

Just a point to note - I grow a lot of various vegetables and won't start my main lot of  sowing until mid to late March even later for some seed like runner beans, french beans, courgettes etc. as they can't stand the frost.

There is a seed sowing chart on the site somewhere if you have a search round (or somebody may advise where it is).

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:17 »
There is a seed sowing chart on the site somewhere if you have a search round (or somebody may advise where it is).

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php :)

Check the back of the seed packet too, and if you are new to it, and a bit "north", then don't pick the earliest date.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 07:25 »
Depends on what your sowing

Absolutely.

We cannot give any specific help without knowing what you're sowing. Some will need to go inside, some outside. Some will need heat, some will need warmth, some will hate either. Some may need to go in soon, for some it will be way too soon.

You cannot give a rule for all seeds.

Have a look at the link Kirsten gave and also the instructions on the seed packet, as he says, - always a good starting point.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 20:02 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 14:51 »
fisherman you've made my day i am always being told that i am to late setting my veg/seed i never set my seed till around the middle of March although i am going to set my broad beans in pots and my onion seed in trays now then wait a couple of weeks before making a start on my main seed setting both veg/flower ;) ;)

Diggit

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 19:59 »
Thanks.

All advice taken on board.  ;)

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
Old seed

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 00:14
by Salmo

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 34 queries.