Growing water cress - does this sound like "A Good Plan?"

• 4 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Lurrrrv water cress, but hate paying supermarket prices for it, and I've always been intrigued by the idea of being able to grow it without the need for large volumes of water (running or otherwise.)

There's all sorts of growing advice ont 'tinterweb, some of it a bit conflicting - the best plan I've come up with so far is rooting some supermarket-bought stuff in water (box ticked - already showing signs of roots after 2 days) and then planting in a good-sized pot of compost standing in a bowl of water which is changed at least once a week.

The location apparently needs to be somewhere not too sunny or hot - I'm thinking underneath the staging in my greenhouse until it gets too warm, and then in a shady spot in the garden which gets little or no direct sun.

Feeding - some liquid fertiliser about once a week or so (poured into the pot rather than the bowl.)

Has anyone had any success with growing water cress, and if so does my plan appear to be anything like on the right lines?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Growing water cress - does this sound like "A Good Plan?"
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 18:55 »
I'd just grow landcress, unless you're set on an experiment. It tastes just as good. :)

On the watercress front, it grows on my local beach here where a water flow comes out of the fields, in full sun..
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 19:52 »
I think it was on the gardeners question time and one of the panel grew it in a polystryne box floating in a water butt  ;)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 20:01 »
Water  cress is very easy to grow and does not need lots of running water. I grew it in a seed tray last year and dumped the neglected dried remains on the garden when I had finished with it. It has survived the winter and is now in flower! I admit it doesn't look nice enough to eat, but I hope to harvest the seeds shortly and sow them in the greenhouse.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 20:39 »
I've thought about it before, but I am already harvesting very peppery land cress put in at the back end of last year, so will stick with that.

Good luck though.

xx
Wild "weeds" nearby - a problem or a good thing?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 19:53
by bb_odiham
xx
Sprouts looking good, will they last till "that" lunch time?

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 03, 2015, 05:58
by DD.
xx
"Garden" compost - how good are you at making it?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 20:41
by snowdrops
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 36 queries.