quick fix humous neded for veg patch

• 14 Replies

moz

quick fix humous neded for veg patch
« on: February 16, 2010, 22:10 »
hi all,
i was wondering what I can add to my veg patch to improve fertility and to boost organic matter.
Shamefully im talking about something I can buy in a bag as its too late to go down the manure on compost heap route.
Today i tested my soil and its about 80-90% sand with the rest being silt, slightly alkaline, and not much organic matter - which maybe explains its relatively poor fertility over the past few years.
Can I add b&Q compost etc to build the soil up,
many thanks in advance,
Moz

Lardman

Re: quick fix humous neded for veg patch
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 22:32 »
Today i tested my soil and its about 80-90% sand with the rest being silt, slightly alkaline, and not much organic matter..

Sounds very much like mine. Over the past 2 years I've added over 5 tonnes of organic matter (compost, horse poo, pig poo and chicken poo) to my 16x14 patch its helped a little but to make any real difference its going to take far more.

How big an area are you using? If you're after a quick fix it might be easier to buy in large amounts (tonnes) of top soil.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 22:47 by Lardman »

moz

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 22:38 »
i have a patch similar size to yours (if you are talking feet)  with raised beds. I have fish,blood,bone but I know this wont really add to the organic matter in  the soil. Imjust getting back into using my veg patch properly as I got disheartened with poor results.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 22:49 »
My soil is like yours Moz; you can never add enough humus to it, so make the most of what you can get hold of by giving it to the plants which need it most (also make sure you boost your plants by giving additional feeds of pelleted chicken manure, Growmore or even liquid feed). It really makes a difference; most vegetables are hungry plants and are easily undernourished in sandy soil.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 22:57 »
The problem with sand it is absolutely pathetic at holding onto whatever nutrients you add, adding BF&B is great but it just washes straight out with the first drop of rain.  >:(

Compost will help but its not going to be cheap in the volume you need to see a big change, does the local council have a greenwaste site you could ask them for bulk discounts.  Even poor organic matter is better than none.

Im was toying with the idea of a few coir blocks to see if that would improve things a little, it is possible but it takes time - the old bloke next door has been working his garden for 30 years and his soil is delicious.

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 23:05 »
80% sand - Ugh! - as someone said it's topsoil you need for a quick fix. Otherwise years of adding organic matter, which will rot away and keep needing to be replenished.

You might want to try green manures too.

Topsoil is expensive.

I got tonnes added for free though! Neighbour wanted a large patio and excavated an area 18" deep over an area of 20 square yards. His son even delivered it exactly where I wanted it and turned all of the sods upside-down too. Result!

The point of this is that it might be worth knocking on doors that are a wheelbarrow walk away. If anyone has any 'garden plans' you can offer to take the soil off their hands and they save the costs of putting it into landfill.

Just a thought.

SS

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 23:08 »
The auto censors modified my last post.  "so and sos" was replaced by an "*"

moz

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:02 »
ok, so ive added some compost (bought Im afraid) and some pelleted chicken manure and top dressed the veg patch. I'll then dig it in when I come to plant - hopefully this will kick start my veg patch this year, all excting stuff

We have two guinea pigs and we have been adding the cleanings from their cage to our new compost bns over winter so hopefully this time next year we will have some home made manure ! I found something on the web about charity work with farmers in south america where they recommend the use of guinea pig manure as this is all some have available.....so it looks like it might be a viable option -and at least our guinea pigs are not for the table !

thanks for you replies folks, much appreciated,

andy135

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:43 »
Moz, your guinea pigs have their work cut out if they're going to manure your plot. :lol:

noshed

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 12:32 »
If you turn your compost heap in the spring it will heat up and be ready to use in a few weeks. You can then start another one - or better still, have 2 heaps.
See if your council supplies bulk compost as well.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Poolfield2

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 15:08 »
I'll swap you 1 ton of sandy soil for 1 ton of my clay soil and we will each have brilliant soil then :lol:

Realistically you are not going to be able to make enough compost at home to significantly alter your soil, you need farm manure of stable muck (well rotted) enough for 6" deep all over, make sure it comes from a place where they haven't used that nasty enzyme on their grass land.

Come on chaps what is it called aminosomethingorother :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 15:11 »
aminopyralid herbicide

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 17:09 »
Was anyone aware that "aminopyralid herbicide" is an anagram of "Mini earache, bodily drip"?  or even better, "Limp, harebrained, idiocy"? (Thought not!)

To get back to the subject of never having enough organic matter to improve all of your sandy plot, I use what I have only where I am actually planting out (e.g a layer of compost goes under the spuds and also in the planting holes for things like sweetcorn).

As I said before, you need to fertilise more than you would on more retentive soil, but look on the bright side; it never floods or gets waterlogged, and warms up much quicker in spring than heavier soils!  :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 17:38 »
Maybe, but I like my clay, and I'm keeping it!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 17:44 »
I think green manure is a good idea... not a quick fix of course, but you can undersow your brassicas with clover for example, it is supposed to share its nitrogen while it's still growing, and then you can dig it in to add humus. I have very sandy soil as well, but it's gradually improving and I use green manures regularly and I think the humus levels are increasing.

Short of buying in lots of expensive stuff in bags, there isn't anything quick you can do, although it's worth asking around because a lot of people make compost in their gardens then don't know what to do with it - maybe they will let you have it!
Rachael

xx
A quick one

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 23:36
by compostqueen
xx
Quick questions

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 10:10
by noshed
xx
Wow they grow quick!

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 17:36
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Quick Slug Q...

Started by Bigfatsi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 00:21
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 40 queries.