The Ban on Peat

• 2 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
The Ban on Peat
« on: May 28, 2023, 12:39 »
Peat is to be banned for home growers next year. Is it justified and does it make sense? Having looked at the evidence, I don’t believe it does.

The forthcoming ban on peat based composts
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: The Ban on Peat
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 20:04 »
I think it is like a great many issues.  There is a lot more to it when you look deeper. 

We could re-flood areas and do more to extend and maintain the peat bogs we have.  It would take a long time to make a real difference, but it is do-able.  We could also make more of Irish peat, market it as premium quality product and appreciate it a lot more, rather than chucking it into every cheap compost and grow bag out there on the market.  That would give more money to the producers to help them restore areas, while maintaining a decent living for all those currently involved in the industry.

rowlandwells

Re: The Ban on Peat
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 08:23 »
as I've said many times I would be the first to change over to peat free compost's if peat free was good enough for my use but the trouble is there is so much peat free rubbish around that its just  not worth buying there's been some recommended peat free composts to try that's well over what I'm paying for peat based and my peat based is still holding its own for quality growing although I have noticed the peat based I'm using has  slightly more fibre in it and it does tend to dry out a bit quicker so I'm adding sharp sand to the mix to see if that improves things and I found it does so its all set for peat based to be banned at the end of the year only for the home gardener so hopefully the compost companies will come up with a suitably alternative in there peat free compost's but  don't hold you breath its going to happen

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 41 queries.