Rotten weather, I got a bug but things still growing.

• 5 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Started the week with a few hours in the potting shed. Ended with some sort of bug getting me. The strong winds and general sogginess making outside tasks impracticable. Frustration meter now at 150% as some of the outside jobs are becoming urgent.

Full post here
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Rotten weather, I got a bug but things still growing.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 14:38 »
I agree with you about the possibility of another round of shortages, later in the year. Seems built in to the new 'normality' we have right now, doesn't it? I've not got much room at all, but am trying to make the most of it!!
Hope you're feeling properly better soon...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 21:11 »
Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly John, I hope that soon changes for the better!

Weather, illness, etc. can be very frustrating when there is a lot to do!  I can sympathize, just hope it changes for you.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 23:59 »
I think that getting older means bugs and problems take longer to shake. Oh for the Grandson's constitution! That there Covid 19 made him feel slightly off-colour for a whole morning in the pandemic. :)

As for food security, the most worrying thing is the lack of preparedness of our government. They seem oblivious to the potential problem not so far down the road.

Our just-in-time supply lines are very short, which is good practice for a business but if things go wrong we could be in a mess in a couple of weeks. On the other hand, I don't want to be known  as that chap who keeps ranting 'the end is nigh!'
At the moment our personal stocks are low - we've nearly used up the 2020 dried milk we got in case the plague became serious.  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 18:07 »
Hope you feel better soon John.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 09:44 »
Hope you are recuperating John.

I agree that flooded fields are going to have some impact later in the year. There is a lot of waste though in growing veg for the UK market. Some of the wonky stuff gets used in processed foods, frozen veg and the like but not enough.

Usually the supermarkets relax their standards and just take more of the crop. Where I work and at other shops at the cheaper end of the market, the produce varies quite widely, as they just source whatever they can get for the money to keep the prices fixed. 

Most people don’t care and buy it anyway, which often makes me wonder why some supermarkets put their growers through the beauty pageant nonsense for their produce.

xx
Rotten Weather but a Lot Going On

Started by John on New Across The Site

0 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 01:00
by John
clip
Rotten Rainy Weather, Hot Stew

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2021, 12:39
by John
xx
How things are going so far

0 Replies
Last post August 01, 2021, 10:55
by John
xx
Things Going Well on the Plots

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2021, 22:20
by Dekzion

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 42 queries.