Chickens staying in coop

• 7 Replies

Andee

Chickens staying in coop
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:57 »
Hi,
should I be concerned that my newly acquired bantams (we've had them just a week) prefer to stay indoors rather than be outside in the run?
They have food in the coop (pellets) and the water is outside. When I open the pop hole in the morning they rush out for a drink but very quickly go back indoors. I can entice them out with food (wheat grains) but after 3-4 mins they want to go back indoors. I have shut them out when I cleaned the coop and they scratch around and yesterday all 3 of them had a good dust bath together, playfully jostling for the best place to roll over. When they have been locked out of the coop for more than about 5 mins they start pecking at the door.

I have built some perches in the coop and left a log in there too

Should I be concerned? Is this normal for young chooks - about 2 months old I guess?

Pictures of the coop and run here:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=64090.0

cheers

Andy

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: Chickens staying in coop
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:39 »
I would put the feed outside then along with there water,  there new so i would just give them time, im sure they will be out and about soon,  why not put some cabbage tied up or some corn on the cob out for them to peck at.   They will be fine dont worry.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 14:02 »
I agree with Nicky.  Put the food outside with their water and give them time.  Mine stayed in their coop a lot when I first got them.  I was really worried as other people had theirs out and about and was concerned I was doing something wrong.  Anyway, in time they all came out and now they never go into the coop unless it is to lay. :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 15:14 »
Ive never known such shy POL girls like the ones I have now. They prefer the coop to being outside, though they have ventured out a few times, but as soon as they see me, they dive into the back corner of the coop and hide. Normally I have a problem getting the newbies in, not the other way around. I wouldnt mind, but Ive had them since Tuesday, Ive only today been able to see them properly to name them. AND there's no sign of an egg, Im going to have to BUY!!!!! some tomorrow.

Andee

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 17:17 »
OK I'll move their food during the day to outside. This is a bit of a pain as the only dry spot is under the coop which is at the other end of the run to the main door - a design opportunity for next time.

I'l have to move the food in at night though as we have a lot of mice, shrews and moles around here.

Cheers

Andy

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 18:13 »
You don't need to have food in the house at night.  When the hens go to bed they sleep and shouldn't need any food or water.  They will fill up on both before heading to bed :)

Andee

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 18:48 »
Carol,
thanks for the comments. I've read a lot of threads on the subject of food and water in the coop and it seems that there are pros and cons in leaving food inside or not. Having it inside certainly keeps it dry and keeps rodents at bay and it my coop it is easy to left the roof and top up the feeder when necessary.

I'll see how they get on when I move the food outside during the day and let you now.

Cheers

Andy

evie2

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 22:14 »
when we got our 5 at the beginning of summer I thought they were agoraphobic :lol: it took them a while to start coming out but they had to as the food was in the run.  They were scared of everything and it took them over 3 weeks to make any impression on the grass :lol:

I wouldn't worry they'll just be settling in  :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Hens staying in coop

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 18:55
by orchardlady
xx
chickens staying out

Started by jackie on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 21:30
by hillfooter
xx
Have to get rid of my chickens and coop!

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 17:25
by joyfull
xx
New chickens and coop!

Started by st0ne5ish on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 09:10
by joyfull

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 40 queries.