Cold chooks-how to keep them warm?

• 6 Replies

chickpea87

« on: October 16, 2008, 21:11 »
Hello!

Think I worry far too much, how can I make sure they are kept warm? They are in a wooden coop with straw and wood shavings (dust extracted) that has been custom raised from the floor about 3 foot (as they are mums and it saves her bending!) I am just concerned they will get cold. They are 3 in number, all ex batts that we have had for about 6 months (i think!)

Also, would anyone be so kind as to jot a quick list of a 'Hen First Aid Kit' want to make a proper one as a Christmas present for mum, and the chooks of course! She only has a few bits and bob's.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 21:14 »
they wil be fine , i have had days with temps down to minus 11 and the birds have still been ok .many years ago we had a very severe winter on the lincs coast .and put straw bales around the henhouse , this kept them warm and cosy  but you have to  make sure they have ventilation or they will gets coffs   n colds .. doubt the winter wil this bad darn sowf this year :lol: oh and it will help  if you close the space under the coop with boards .nice little store place methinks  :wink:
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 21:16 »
They will happly keep themselves warm they are duvet covered  :lol: , you might want to consider a smear of vaseline on their combs if we get severe cold weather, but apart from that they will be fine as long as there are no draughts.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 21:18 »
Feed them wheat and oats - this will keep them warm on the inside too.

Piglit's Pullets

• www.pamperedchef.com
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 21:55 »
I love the tea tree spray from Flytes of Fancy for knicks, scrapes and blooming bits that want protection, new Flubenvet small holder sized sachets, Diatom, Cod Liver Oil...and a squirter, Poultry Shield, bit of Poultry Spice for the winter coming ( mine like that) That has kept me going for ages without worry.  Pair of rubber gloves and some of that instant clean hands stuff might be an idea if the hen house is not close to water in the main house.... sticking fingers in chicken poo and then licking them ( unintentionally, of course) is not recommended  :shock:  :shock:  

Happy shopping  :wink:
" Staying In is the new going out " You are only steps away from hosting your very own Pampered Chef party with moi... go on, see what all the buzz is about!

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 22:13 »
Just a tad of cracked Corn on the coldest of nights will help to raise body temp too. For three hens I would say just a palm full though. When feeding whole grains though be sure to also offer grit free choice in a seperate container.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 14:21 »
I made this temporary winter shelter for my hens from clear plastic I had in the shed and two bales of straw. It can all be dismantled in spring

xx
keeping chooks warm

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 20:52
by shaun
xx
Keeping chooks warm in winter

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 22:59
by archiesgems
xx
Hint for keeping chooks feet warm in winter.

Started by Morween on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 18:54
by Helenaj
xx
cold chooks

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 19, 2009, 13:17
by too many girls

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 35 queries.