Dog nappies

• 6 Replies

Hawkins

Dog nappies
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:45 »
Has anyone ever used them or could reccomend some to me. My little spud the poodle in my avatar. It was her birthday yesterday she is 14 yrs old now. Lately though she has become deaf and is now going blind with cataracts but apart from that is fit and healthy and a cheeky little monster.

Anyway ill get to it. she has started wetting herself at night and because she sleeps on our bed this is becoming a bit of an issue. If I put her on the floor she will go mental so I need some nappies for her.

any ideas please guys.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Dog nappies
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:51 »
Em I have seen them (I think a lot of show dogs have them for when in season) but don't think they would cope with incontinence. I would have a chat with your vet as you can get medication for this xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Hawkins

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:26 »
Good point Joy thanks for that we have a fab relationship with the vet so have just rung them. She is already on medication as she has bronchitus. So she has tablets daily just wanted to make sure that it wasnt some kind of side effect as it has only happened since she had a rough trot over Christmas and been on the meds.

They can help with incontinence but would need to see her to discuss ( no big issue we like out vet) will discuss with OH as the cost of the Nappies would be the same as a visit to the vet and at 14 do I want to put her on more tablets etc. Bit of a dilemma me thinks.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 15:33 »
Well, it's likely to happen to all us eventually.  Poor little thing.

Could you get a urine sample for the vet to check.  Could be an infection?

If it is longer term incontinence, could you use those absorbent bed liners that humans use.  They just hold enough wee to stop it soaking through to the bed, so you could put it on top of your bed where she sleeps, they're not huge things, maybe a metre square.

Not a lovely thing for you to wake up to though, but otherwise it would have to be a dog cage next to the bed, and she won't like that :( 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 15:43 »
there are also those training pads for puppies. you could lay some of those on the bed  :)

Hawkins

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:52 »
Good ideas guys, thanks :D

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 11:15 »
You could ask your vet about Propalin syrup.

My friends elderly dog as 2 drops twice a day on a bit of bread to stop her incontinence.  as it can be given on a treat or favourite bit of food it isn't an issue to administer.  The medication isn't expensive, and 1 bottle lasts a long time.  It does only work on sapyed bitches though.

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 38 queries.