Get 'em in early

• 16 Replies

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Get 'em in early
« on: December 27, 2009, 20:42 »
cripes - went in my local GC and they had all their seed potatoes all lined up......

hmmmm what do you do with them if you buy them now!!?? 
Death OR Cake ???

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Get 'em in early
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 21:00 »
They always come in this time of year. We've already had people asking for them at the garden centre where I work all through December. 

If you want a specific variety grab them sooner rather than later and store them until you are ready to chit.  Everyone sold out early last year and it's almost impossible to get back up stock. The grow your own boom is overtaking suppliers at the moment  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 21:19 »
I echo New Shoot's advice - grab your supply while you can, but wait to put them outside.

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 21:48 »
How do you store them so they don't start to sprout?

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 23:59 »
They always come in this time of year. We've already had people asking for them at the garden centre where I work all through December. 

If you want a specific variety grab them sooner rather than later and store them until you are ready to chit.  Everyone sold out early last year and it's almost impossible to get back up stock. The grow your own boom is overtaking suppliers at the moment  ;)

hehe well actually being an old lag on the veggy front the question was slightly rhetorical, I mean to say January is early enough in my book - seeing as the amount of bad (freezing) weather we've had lately I would be worried the stock put out may have got frosted in the lorry on its way there!!  So be wary.....

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 00:07 »
Many garden centres are too warm which breaks the seed potatoes natural dormancy before you want it to happen. Buy them now and bring them home where you have control over how they are stored.

Store somewhere frost free but cool. Spread them out on a tray. It does not matter if it is light or dark but if they do start to sprout plenty of light will stop the sprouts getting too long. Sprouts on seed potatoes are usually referred to as chits.

If you intend to plant mid-March you will need to start the chitting process in early Feb. If there are no chits on them at that time bring them into the warm for about a week to break their dormancy until you can see tiny chits in the eyes. Then return them to cool light conditions until you are ready to plant.

First early varieties break their dormancy very easily and it is usually a case of holding them back. Light is the only way to keep the sprouts short.

You will hear a lot of argument whether chitting is worthwhile. By breaking the dormancy you are advancing the plants life cycle and tubers will be formed earlier. It is probably only worthwhile chitting early varieties for really early new potatoes.

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 18:41 »
Homebase have them in here, going to wait until the local garden centre get their stock though.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 15:53 »

hehe well actually being an old lag on the veggy front the question was slightly rhetorical, I mean to say January is early enough in my book - seeing as the amount of bad (freezing) weather we've had lately I would be worried the stock put out may have got frosted in the lorry on its way there!!  So be wary.....

Some good advice there.  If the seed potatoes have been touched by frost, the damage may have already been done.  With the sub-zero temperatures we have had, even a 5 hour journey in the back of a lorry will damage a few.

Most reputable suppliers don't even deliver them until all chance of frost has passed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 16:00 »
Most reputable suppliers don't even deliver them until all chance of frost has passed.

would it be a bit late to plant if the suppliers waited till may?  ;)
I prefer to plant in mid march, still well before last frost date, but as long as they are earthed up regularly they are fine :D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 16:02 by mumofstig »

plot6b

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 16:04 »
Suttons have already delivered mine.They did state Jan delivery :nowink: :nowink:

Brambles

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 16:09 »
Whilst I understand the logic to puting seed potatoes in the light to slow down the rooting process, the potatoes will surely turn green.... Does that affect the performance of the seed potato?

griff

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 16:10 »
mine arrived before Christmas. i always put them in the dark in the loft, never had any problems before. Must clime up and have a look  to see if they are still OK

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 16:14 »
Whilst I understand the logic to puting seed potatoes in the light to slow down the rooting process, the potatoes will surely turn green.... Does that affect the performance of the seed potato?

No. Only worry about green spuds if you intend eating them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 16:17 »

would it be a bit late to plant if the suppliers waited till may?  ;)
I prefer to plant in mid march, still well before last frost date, but as long as they are earthed up regularly they are fine :D

I'd also dispute that comment, Lesley. They simply HAVE to be in the shops well before the frost deadline.

I don't think Iain would take kindly to that comment either!

Brambles

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 16:20 »
Thank you DD...  Not grown large amounts of potatoes, had some this Christmas which were delish...  Not a huge crop but quality definitely made up for quantity.

xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen
xx
I know i was early

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 14:22
by BobE

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 38 queries.