Bindweed & ground elder

• 9 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Bindweed & ground elder
« on: August 10, 2009, 16:41 »
Somethings I have been told by a professional RHS chappy;

The only way to kill bindweed is to use glyphosate.  He said to find the tip of the bindweed, make up your glyphosate solution and dunk the end of the plant in it.  Leave it for 7 days then take it out, the plant should have absorbed enough of the chemical to kill the root, but you may need another one or two goes at it if it's enormously long.  Also saves getting it all over everything else.  Dunno if it works or not, we have tried it and it did kill the majority of the plant, on our second week of dunking now :o)

He said bindweed had been found in abandoned mines 30 feet below ground surface!  Nightmare or what.

We have loads of it because I think next door is setting out to show his at chelsea or something the amount he has!!!  And he's a gardener for his day-job, can you believe that!

The RHS chappy also said for ground-elder, at least I think it was ground elder that it is very shallow rooted?  So best way to get rid of it is to put some kind of surface on top of it, bark or straw or something, wait for the elder to make it's way to the top, when it has just sweep the whole lot away and burn it.  Again not sure if it works but he out to know what he is talking about.  He did say something about horse-tail too and like a complete idiot I didn't listen properly to that bit because we don't have any, duh!

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Bindweed & ground elder
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 16:57 »
Sounds good regarding the bindweed. Not sure how many containers of glyphosate solution you would need over the whole of an allotment though. I suppose you could use plasic bags with a little solution in it attached to each plant - you could even apply it during wet weather then I suppose.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 17:32 »
hoe hoe hoe! (and I'm not laughin  :) )
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Babyshoes

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 13:57 »
Wow, that's a great idea. May have to try that, I have been too scared to use glyphosphate on my bindweed as I was afraid of overspray getting on my crops, and was planning on waiting till winter when there are less things growing. In the meantime I have covered the worst of it with weed fabric, and keep pulling up bits I find amongst the crops.

I have a picture in my head now of the tip in a little plastic bag of it tied with string/elastic.

Goodness knows I have to do something - it is our first year on the plot, and being complete newbs we just pulled out what we could and dug the ground over, but the roots were still there, so now it has spread! Doh!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 18:18 »
Babyshoes, if you are planning on using glyphosate it won't work in the winter.  This is because it needs the plant to be actively growing in order for the chemicals to be taken down to the root.  The plant won't be growing actively in winter.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:00 »
for small amounts of bindweed in our garden growing through everything in a flower bed I used  glyphosphate neat on a cotton wool ball and wiped the leaves with it. (wearing gloves)  It does kill it although I still get a little growth each yr but nothing like what I would have done.  In the lottie I just sprayed with a strong solution.  This also worked but I know it will be a long battle, at least it's stopping it spreading all over.  luckily we don't have ground elder  :), just brambles and nettles  :(
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

tode

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:05 »
Was chatting with neighbouring farmer on Sunday, he always treats bindweed with glyphosate in the Autumn: apparently it gets taken down to the roots better then.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 16:38 »
I heard the most effective time  for eradicating bindweed is when they are flowering - so late summer/autumn I suppose.

Babyshoes

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 00:09 »
Ah, thanks for that Yorkie, will try it sooner rather than later then!

The cotton wool application idea is good too SMD66, though I think I have too much bindweed for that at the moment, it might be useful once I have got the worst under control.

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 01:04 »
i got given a product called "glyfos" only a small amount but it sounds good :) gonna try that very soon

xx
Ground Elder and Bindweed

Started by Shieldsy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 18:19
by Shieldsy
xx
Help with Ground Elder

Started by sunlover on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2007, 13:34
by moz
xx
Ground Elder - What should I do

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 20:55
by Kristen
xx
ground elder problem

Started by eli on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 19:06
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 37 queries.