Should I water me onions????

• 11 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Should I water me onions????
« on: May 21, 2010, 15:10 »
I noticed last night that one of my autumn sown Japanese numbers had bolted.  It has been so dry lately and I have tried to resist watering, but should I give them some, or is it the heat rather than the drought (?sp)  making them/it bolt????

Trillium

Re: Should I water me onions????
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 15:43 »
Onions respond to both heat and daylight length, so snap off the flowering top bit and give the plants some water. Doesn't need to be a lot but something close to the root area will help them out. We're a lot drier than the UK and I regularly need to give my onions water.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 15:47 »
I gave mine a splosh the other day directed very close along the row... they need to put on some weight fast  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 16:04 »
My onions got a drink the other day.  :D
Babs

rikknikk

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 17:17 »
when and onion bolts does it actually flower? The leaves on mine have grown really quick in the heat and are not very strong?

prakash_mib

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 19:08 »
my onions get drink whenever there is a dry spell. we havent had any rain for 4 days soI watered yesterday. they havent bolted yet (touch wood) and bulging quite nicely. one of our plot holders' have bolted. certainly watering keeps them very happy growing.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 20:00 »
i water my onions when i water all my seedlings  :)

plum crumble

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 20:07 »
ooh definitely water them! Mine have just had a good old slurp. Now i'm going to have one... :lol:
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 23:05 »
when and onion bolts does it actually flower? The leaves on mine have grown really quick in the heat and are not very strong?

Yes, to bolt means to go to seed (which means, flowers).
If the leaves on your plants don't look too robust, then give them a feeding of either your favourite veg fertilizer, or a mulch of some rotted manure or compost, or a good drink of comfrey or nettle tea.

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 23:09 »
we havent had any rain for 4 days

Four days, we've had very little for the last month and this is Cumbria!!

I've had to water mine every 5/6 days and they are now just starting to swell into something that looks like an onion.

When they bolt they can still be used. Just snap off the head and they will keep growing. They won't keep so use them straightaway in soup or something.

Adrian

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 10:14 »
I've never watered onions, but I do make sure the soil is good and water-retaining, with lots of organic matter and mulch where appropriate.

I've just mentioned it in another post, but it would be good if people could try leaving a small area of a crop unwatered, to see if the end results are really much different. I think people tend to water unnecessarily and we're all going to have to get used to water becoming more scarce. You'll find many traditionally-run large gardens don't use water apart from for seedlings, after transplanting, etc.

Cheers,

Adrian

JohnB47

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 12:43 »
I noticed last night that one of my autumn sown Japanese numbers had bolted.  It has been so dry lately and I have tried to resist watering, but should I give them some, or is it the heat rather than the drought (?sp)  making them/it bolt????

Same here. I planted two types of over-wintering onions last autumn and it's only the Sensui Yellow that are bolting. I'm nipping the flower stalks off and hoping for the best - watering too (very dry for weeks down here in Devon - some rain a few days ago but had very little effect).

BTW, the nipped off flower stalks still keep growing. Should I keep removing these stalks or leave them be?

xx
Should I water my onions?

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 08:50
by DD.
xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
WATER shortage - tips for saving / harvesting water please

Started by Cr78 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:52
by mumofstig
xx
keeping water in water butts

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:25
by Ivor Backache

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 32 queries.