Quick french bean question

• 5 Replies

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Quick french bean question
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:02 »
My French beans HAVE to be planted today because the roots are poking out of the sides and bottom of their newspaper pots, and they are so big that they are starting to set flowers  ;)

My question is - do I place the plants in FRONT of the canes or BEHIND or doesn't it matter? Is there any advantage in planting position?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Quick french bean question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:09 »
It's no big deal but planting out of the way of potential damage from clumsy "plates of meat" is not a bad idea. Planting inside the line makes it easier to net the young plants if that's something you are contemplating..........
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 10:11 »
Good idea - the clumsy plates of meat in question are likely to be our two bearded collies!!! They don't usually trample on to flower beds, but one should never take the chance, especially if a badly aimed ball is thrown in that direction! Many thanks. :)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 10:13 »
Planting 'under' the slope of the canes just makes it slightly easier for the plants to start climbing, as they can 'find' the canes. Also makes it easier for you to throw a fleece round in the event of a late frost.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 10:50 »
If we're talking the non-climbing French bean, I find canes totally unnecessary if you plant like this:

Double rows, 9" between each plant (star), 18" between the double rows. They've always been self-supporting.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:21 »
Thanks everyone. I don't have masses of plants as I don't have an allotment, so have put canes up against a garden wall and planted behind the slope of the cane. Is looking very neat and tidy I must say! (Is proud!!!) Let's just hope the army of slugs don't move in now!!

xx
French Bean Question.

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2020, 22:31
by mumofstig
xx
French bean question

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 22:27
by LivvyW
xx
French bean question(s)!

Started by carinapod on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 15:14
by Trillium
xx
Dwarf French Bean Question

Started by chrisb1357 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 13:58
by Sue32

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 40 queries.