Diary of a suburban bantie cockerel

• 260 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Diary of a suburban bantie cockerel
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2015, 08:05 »
I think they must hide the torch wherever they hide the kazoo  ::)

One of that lot has one for sure.  We have some very odd noises each morning at the moment, as one of the daft girlies tries to sing along with Fogggie :lol:

Snoop

« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2015, 15:33 »
Do Foghorn and Alphie compete (vocally or physically) or do you keep them apart?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2015, 08:35 »
They are in the same back garden Snoop, hence the rivalry between them and their respective gangs of girls.  Only one lot can be out free ranging at any time, or a riot breaks loose.  The boys would fight and the girls would not be far behind, especially Naomi and Beyonce, who really do have issues with each other  ::) 

The boys do have a quick crow at each other every morning and at odd intervals during the day.  Luckily they get it out of their systems pretty fast and are quiet for the vast majority of the day  :) 

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2015, 14:27 »
They are lovely birds New Shoot. The boys are very handsome :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2015, 16:26 »
Foghorn's diary

Well some news for the diary.  My old silver laced dottie went to the great chicken coop in the sky recently  :(  She would have been 11 next spring and was getting slower and slower, but mum noticed she didn't look very well a week or so ago and took her inside the house.  She settled very happily into the puppy cage mum has and perked up a bit, eating all her favourite treats - apple, strawberries, grapes, mealworms and seeds, but when mum came downstairs in the morning, she had gone  :(

That makes me and the white pipsqueak the oldest ones now.  I would say that as the elder statesman of the run, I should now have all due respect from everyone, but Miss B might have something to say about that  ::)  She has had her eye on the top hen spot for a while and is insufferable at the moment.  She even tried to boss me the other day, but I'm too smart for her.  I wanted to get into the coop and she was blocking the door and being awkward.  All I had to do was say 'Age before beauty Beyonce' and of course she just simpered and stepped aside  :lol:

Anyway, we got a coop clean out today and mum found a nice surprise of eggs waiting for her  :)

Everyone has finally finished moulting and the younger ones are laying again.  They are looking good in their new feathers, as do I of course.  Mum has been rubbing my feet with castor oil as well.  I do get dry skin and I have had 2 treatments now.  Not sure if I fully approve of being picked up for a foot massage, but my feet are a lot more comfortable  :D

All in all we are looking good and those eggs got us a treat of mealworms, so we were well chuffed all round  :)
IMG_1669_zpsvwqioiju.jpg
IMG_1673_zpsv9urhfj7.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 14:29 by New shoot »

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2015, 09:29 »
Such pretty hens... :)
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2015, 11:44 »
Sorry to hear of your and Foggie's loss, New Shoot. She had a peaceful end though, safe and warm.

Hope your birds enjoy their festive treats
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2016, 17:56 »
Foghorn's diary

Garden field trip today  :D  Mum got on with her jobs and we got on with ours - digging, scratching and eating everything in sight.  Beyonce likes to check all the logs we have around the outside of our run and enlists mum in her quest.  Mum's job is to lift them up one by one.  Miss B isn't happy until she has inspected them all and fixes mum with a beady glare when she has eaten all the worms and slugs and wants to move on  :lol:

Eddie was more interested in nicking bits of grit from the top of the pots, but got caught red beaked and was told off for this  :lol:

I've told her a hundred times,  if you are going to be norty, look around and see where mum is first.  Crikey, she's right behind me  :ohmy:  OK, think lad.  Just swerve round that pot and make all innocent.  Me?  I was never even thinking about it, honest  ;)  :lol:

Alphie's diary

Well the big gang were out in the garden for ages and we set up an almighty racket to complain about that.  Mum ignored us and went off to that greenhouse again.  What does she find to do in there for so long  ???

Eventually she came back and put Foggie's lot back in their run and we got out.  We were still moaning, but mum said she had loads to do and we could stay out a good long time, so shut up now please.  She wasn't kidding.  Away she went again and I thought in the end, it was high time we headed home.  I stood in the run and chucked to say there was good stuff to eat in there, but my two just would not come in  ::)

Mum came back, saw my plaintive look and said 'Oh don't worry Alphie, I'll soon fix that'

A few mealworms chucked into the run and those two madams could not get back to me fast enough.  They nearly bowled mum over in their rush to get in and I got well out of the way  :lol:

They tried to tell me later that they missed me and were running back to see me.  Hmmmmm .......... from what I saw, they were so busy filling their faces, they wouldn't have known whether I was there or not   ::) 

I think I need to speak to mum about my own secret mealworm stash  :lol:
IMG_1702_zps0xswbzcn.jpg
IMG_1703_zpszl2chck6.jpg
IMG_1706_zpsqq9gskfg.jpg
IMG_1713_zpstcuhs0ir.jpg
IMG_1715_zpsqesmu9fa.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:55 by New shoot »

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2016, 18:16 »
I do so love this!!  :D :D

Snoop

« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2016, 10:36 »
Great read. Gave me a right good grin.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2016, 22:34 »
They must be the world's happiest chickens! :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2016, 19:59 »
Alphie's diary

Its been a lovely day and mum was gardening, so we got out for a ramble.  I thought the girls would be happy to walk round together like we usually do, but Naomi was intent on a dust bath and was not interested in anything else  ::)

Mum rolled her eyes a bit at yet another hole dug, but Naomi was oblivious to her  :lol:  I tried to get Eva interested in a bit of digging under the shrubs, but even she was playing hard to get  >:(

I ended up following mum around and getting told off for being in the way constantly.  It paid off though when she started moving pots around.  I got a stash of worms revealed and as the girls ignored my calls to come over, I had a feast myself  :D

I moaned to mum about them ignoring me, but she said, you must have heard the rhyme Alphie - 'Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, just 'cos I eat worms'.  That made no sense to me. Those girls eat worms and I like them, so how does that work  ???  I reckon mum is teasing me.  Why do all the women in my life do that  ???  It's just not fair diary, just not fair at all  >:(
IMG_1765_zpseviycihk.jpg
IMG_1768_zps3bwjmmxz.jpg
IMG_1774_zpskofesgwh.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:57 by New shoot »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2016, 16:34 »
Such a hard life, Alphie, such a hard life indeed lol

Snoop

« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2016, 16:52 »
What handsome plumage Naomi and Eva have got!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2016, 19:03 »
Foghorn's diary

Had a good weekend so far.  We got out for a garden visit yesterday and today mum was cleaning duck weed off the top of her wildlife pond and we got that as well  :)  It may be called duck weed, but we like to eat it and the girls decend on it like they haven't been fed for weeks.  Mum made sure I had my own little stash to eat in peace though  :D

We had some sad news a couple of weeks ago.  Poor Mabel just dropped in the run one day and that was that.  She had been running around like a loony as usual all morning, but then something very sudden obviously happened.  Mum was shocked to find her and Millie was a bit lost for a few days, but she is OK now.

Its left me with just 4 girls now and the coop seems a bit empty, but mum is refusing to listen to any suggestions that I need more company.  I tried again today, but she just went into the kitchen and came back to show me this on her phone.  Alphie's girls are laying as well at the moment, so mum is getting 3 or 4 eggs a day, which she says is more than enough  ::)

Miss B is doing her bit though by going broody and not laying at all, although she was enticed out by the duck weed and then got her favourite treat - comfrey flowers.  We have this growing outside our run and eat the leaves through the wire, but Beyonce loves to be fed the flowers and picks them off one at a time.

Mum offered me some, but I declined.  Can you imagine the mileage the white pipsqueak would get out of seeing me muching delicate little flowers.  Miss B isn't big on sharing anyway  ;)

Shame 'cos if she would let some of the others go broody and share the nest boxes I might have a bit more chance of talking mum round about some new girls  :lol:
IMG_1831_zpsnutgc92a.jpg
IMG_1843_zpsjbbiek7n.jpg
IMG_1842_zpserd2xk5g.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 14:32 by New shoot »

xx
Bantie Orpintons???

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:56
by Evansent
sad
Hen now cockerel

Started by The Goods on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 21:06
by Paul Plots
xx
Ixworth Cockerel

Started by PBOV on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 15:01
by joyfull
clip
Hello and help need to re home a Cockerel

Started by IanFM on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2020, 14:12
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 56 queries.