Hawks?

• 13 Replies

Dellie

Hawks?
« on: December 01, 2010, 22:13 »
One of my hens has gone missing - completely gone, not a feather left!

I have checked every where and the pen is still secure, no holes in the fencing etc..  I had thought a fox may have got her, but the dogs never made a sound and there would have been feathers left I'm sure. 

I have noticed a large hawk type bird in the area recently (I'm not big on bird types so don't know which type of hawk, just a big one with a massive wing span!).  Do you think it's possible the hen could have been lifted by a hawk?
Dellie :)

8doubles

Re: Hawks?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 22:22 »
I would say a fox is the guilty party as a bird of prey would loosen a lot of feathers holding down a hen. Buzzards etc are not very bold and would need to be very hungry to do it.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 22:23 »
what age and breed of chickens have you got? I doubt that a hawk would take an adult large fowl.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Dellie

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 22:31 »
I got it as a day old in August - (it and six other day olds were bought by local kids after a bird fair, they ended up with me when the kids took them home to their mums and they weren't pleased).  I think it was a white sussex but can't be sure, it was certainly a little smaller than my ex batts.

Haven't seen any foxes recently, and my lab and collie are a great attack alarm system.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 14:42 »
In the summer one of the many raptors from the woods beside the farm carried off an adult Sablepoot hen, not nice >:( 
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 15:46 »
Sorry to here that :ohmy:
There is a pair of local Periguine falcons that episodically take my neighbours racing pigeons, but they prefer to take them in the air, maybe becuase of the fences etc and our small gardens are crowded its safer for them to eat that way. But out on the marshes they hunt prey on the ground.
What is the terrain like where you are?

Dellie

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 19:56 »
We're in the middle of a village, houses on all sides. 

I was listening to the radio today and a man was on saying he had sighted a buzzard pretty close to here, maybe it was the same bird - as I said, I'm not good at differentiating between the birds of prey, but a buzzard sounds like he could so serious some damage to a wee hen  ???

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 20:17 »
i put a roof on my run to deter the nimble fox. i've seen buzzards aplenty but they show little interest in my hy-lines.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 23:05 »
I saw a large owl scouting my ladies the other morning.  She waited until I went back inside and then flew overhead.  I don't think she could have carried them off though because the smallest is a leghorn and the others are Maran and bluebells.   :unsure:

orchardlady

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 00:01 »
In all the years I've kept free range hens I've never lost a hen to a bird of prey. We have buzzards and red tailed kites (but they do carrion not live prey). The cockerels do not like them and if they come too low sound the alarm and everyone rushes for cover. I've not even lost a chick to a BOP so I should think your missing hen was taken by a fox.

Brushcutter

• Andrews Decorating
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 17:56 »
I reckon orchardlady is right its unlikely to be a B.O.P. Lost a quail last year, there was just a quail sized hole in the chicken wire with blood on it no feathers or anything. I was really angry with myself as i had a roll of weldmesh left over from making a chcken run but didnt get round to upgrading Dave the quails run.
There was a lot of debate afterwards with the neighbours, was it a ferret, a stoat? But in the end we settled on fox as most probable. After reading mythical tales of stoat armies attacking dogs, cows and people i was really in the stoat camp, but most of the time its a fox.
There is occaionally fox poo outside my chicken run in the morning, but the weldmesh on all sides keep them out. According to my elderly neighbour, who is up at all hours, mr fox pops by at 2am most mornings for the chance of an easy breakfast.
Just be vigilant now because whatever did it knows theres a free meal in your garden.

thebumbles

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 21:03 »
Hi
Sorry about your bird.  Buzzards will take small birds, I have seen them take next doors chicken chicks, and also we have a very active sparrowhawk, who I worry about taking my bantams, as they take the wood pigeons and doves with no problem.  The hawks are so quick and silent hunters.

ex-cavator

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 21:55 »
Sorry about your chook, but as a life long ornithologist I think it very unlikely to be a bird of prey. Though most British species would be quite capable of taking a hen, it is improbable that any would do so in the circumstances you describe (within a pen - therefore I assume quite a restricted space surrounded by mesh fence, between houses & in a village). Buzzard, Red Kite, and Peregrine have been mentioned - I would immediately rule out both Buzzard and Peregrine, as taking chickens from a village garden is just not their style. Buzzards prefer to hunt in open country and given the choice, would shy away from human habitation, besides, at this time of year food is plentiful and they are more likely to be 'worming' in the centre of a large field. Peregrines have a very specific style of hunting that would certainly not involve taking hens from gardens - again, their preferred food is plentiful at this time of year (wildfowl & waders including Lapwing / Golden Plover flocks). Red Kites are the largest raptor you are likely to encounter and could easily take a hen, AND would readily enter gardens to feed, BUT prefer carrion to live food and again, there's no shortage of this around at this time of year.
If I had to put my money on a bird of prey being the culprit, I would opt for Sparrowhawk. Gardens are certainly within their remit, and a large female hawk could easily kill a hen, but would possibly struggle to carry it off and would seek to dispatch it before doing so - leaving a lot of evidence in the way of feathers on the ground.
But to be honest, I think your silent killer is far more likely to have had four legs ....  ;)

Dellie

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 16:10 »
Thanks for all your replies.

I've been checking for signs of a fox everyday now and so far nothing, but just to be sure I lock the birds up early every night and leave the dogs on patrol when I'm not about.

Still can't help checking the skies for giant hen killers though  :D

xx
Hawks

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 23:21
by princesspoultry

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.