a little of advice for a novice please.

• 6 Replies

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
a little of advice for a novice please.
« on: June 02, 2010, 18:14 »
i wrote on earlier post that im attempting to grow cabbage, Broccli, leeks and onions for the first time and i asked when i should transfer to bigger pots. I was told to transfer when the roots started to grow through the bottom. Check today and the cabbages have. The main question was how do i transfer them without damaging them? Sorry if its a bit long winded. Appreciate any help. Thanks
1 dog -Chloe 1 cat - Oscar 2 hamsters - Flo and Tinkerbell 3 ferrets - Charlie, chip and rupert 3 light sussex - Madge, Henrietta and lucy-lou 2 black rocks - Peggy and Betty 1 puppy on the way i'm not mad i'm in love. :)

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: a little of advice for a novice please.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 18:20 »
im only a fresher myself but here is what i do when i plant out to the lotty

give your pots a good soaking  dig your hole and then turn the pot upside down and tap the contents out onto the palm of your hand carefully if the ground is dry, i find if you water the hole it makes your brassicas stand up after planting and thats the way to go
if you have incidents of club root before a little sprinkle of lime is good as well

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 20:27 »
I usually tap my young plants out onto my fingers, so the plant itself sits between my outstretched fingers.  Then it doesn't get squished!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 20:33 »
First prepare the pot you're going to plant into unless you have 3 hands. Compost in the pot and a hole deep enough for the plant to go in a bit deeper than the current pot. (This is for brassicas.

Then as Grannie Annie, (this is for right handers, left handers reverse please), with plant the right way up, plant between two of your left hand fingers, palm down. Invert, tap out plant and place in new pot.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 21:50 »
there still really tiny do you think they maybe too small to move. might sound like a silly question but is each little shoot (sorry if thats not what there called) a cabbage? there seems to be loads in each pot.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 21:59 »
Yes Katie, each little seedling is a cabbage!  I usually let my seedlings get to about 3 inches high before I re-pot, although some people do it as soon as you get your first 2 true leaves. In that case, I have a pair of tweezers and I gently loosen the soil in the pot, gently pull a seedling out holding one of the first seed leaves and lower it into a little hole I made in the bigger pot, firmly down gently all around it.

But that's just what I do!  there are other much more experienced people on here than me!!

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 22:20 »
there about 1 inch high at the minute. But they are in a pot about 4 inch diameter. There must be about 20 in each pot. I hope they grow properly im not the best at growing things. How often should you water them?

xx
Advice for novice please

Started by leighma on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 11:37
by noshed
xx
Advice for novice in Spain?

Started by Sarah C on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 16:56
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Advice needed please for a novice!

Started by jgsmuzzy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2006, 12:39
by Oliver
xx
Advice please for an allotment novice!

Started by Green Goddess on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 22:04
by Trillium

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 33 queries.