Is anyone harvesting shallots yet?

• 17 Replies

BabbyAnn

Re: Is anyone harvesting shallots yet?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 05:23 »
I did the old style of planting on the shortest day (last Dec) to harvest on the longest day. They are nowhere near ready to harvest as yet. Only 2/3 of what I planted have survived at all.

A few years back I followed this advice for some of the shallots, then planted a second batch in early spring - the 2nd batch came up quicker and healthier so have never bothered doing an autumn/winter planting since.

Yesterday I weeded the bed and accidentally tugged one of the leaves of one plant and they came up ... with a touch of root rot on the base  :(  Leaves looked green so no indication of problems ... I've got my fingers crossed it was just a one off.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 11:54 »
Mines a mile off being ready yet the longor type for pickling anyhow,ive ate all my red sun ones as spring onions very nice they were too  :lol:

Totty

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 18:37 »
I sowed my aristocrats on the shortest day and harvested all of them last week. They are for showing, leaving them too long can cause them to go double, but decent size.
The others were longor I think, they look good at the moment, sowed in pots in late winter and will leave them alone till they start dying back.
Also have a load of them that I sowed from seed, Zebrune, only one shallot per plant but they are filling out nicely now.

Totty

xx
Harvesting Shallots - a couple of questions.

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 11:07
by MichelleC
xx
What are you still harvesting?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 21:42
by Madame Cholet
xx
What are you harvesting now?

Started by AdrianH on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 20:27
by yummy
xx
Harvesting PSB

Started by someoneorother on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 12:57
by someoneorother

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 33 queries.