Carrot Soil

• 7 Replies

Lottie Mary

Carrot Soil
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:40 »
I'm new to allotment gardening, having had my plot for a grand total of about 1.5 weeks!  But one of the guys on at our allotments said that people there don't have much luck with carrots because the soil is too stony and dense.  Now the soil on my plot doesn't seem particularly dense, but I have come across quite a few stones.  If I were to spend some time preparing a bed and perhaps mix in a bit of sand, would this make a difference?  The guy said that the carrots DO grow - but are often mis-shapen.

I guess I've just had plans for about 1/3 of the plot to be dedicated to staples - potatoes, onions and carrots - so I'm determined to make this work!

prakash_mib

Re: Carrot Soil
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:50 »
welcome and congrats on the new plot. The carrots love sort of loamy, free draining soil. Doesnt mean you wont get carrots at all. You might get funny shapes, forks and allsorts. Since you have just got hold of a plot and it is a good time to plan of the next season you can sort things out. A bed/raised bed is a very good idea but you have to find a mix of tosoil and compost to go in that. wait for more advise though.  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:03 »
As well as preparing a bed (raised with additional top soil/compost as mentioned, or riddling to remove stones if you don't have many) you could grow a short stumpy carrot like Early Market http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist/1/VEGETABLES/V-C/CARROT/5/11108.htm instead or try something like Paris Market Baron http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist/1/VEGETABLES/V-C/CARROT/9/11115.htm - they are small round carrots that grow to about a 50p size.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Lottie Mary

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:31 »
As well as preparing a bed (raised with additional top soil/compost as mentioned, or riddling to remove stones if you don't have many) you could grow a short stumpy carrot like Early Market http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist/1/VEGETABLES/V-C/CARROT/5/11108.htm instead or try something like Paris Market Baron http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist/1/VEGETABLES/V-C/CARROT/9/11115.htm - they are small round carrots that grow to about a 50p size.

Now that's a smart idea!!!  I must admit being fascinated by those little round carrots - but never thought to try to grow them myself - but well, needs must!  Thanks very much for the suggestion!

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:25 »
I have to be honest. My soil is very stoney, but i have had a great sucess with carrots. I grew stumpy ones and normal ones, and aprt from a bend here and there they have been fine. Just give it a go and see how they turn out.

I found this year that the veg i just left to grow did well but the ones where i over prepared and molly coddled struggled!!! I just planted the carrot rows, covered with enviromesh and left them to it! Weeding when needed!
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 20:56 »
i have some good ones this year,
i took a crow bar and made circular movements in the soil then filled the hole with a mix of fine soil, compost and sand. works for and saves siving a full bed
first year grower

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 21:23 »
Make you use sharp sand, don't manure the bed and get rid of as many stones as possible as has been said.  You can use a surprisingly large amount of sand and grow some good carrots.
Cheese makes everything better.

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 21:58 »
I grow a lot in black flower buckets in a home-made compost mix. they are much more successful than those in the veg bed which don't seem to do very well at all. The advantage with the tubs is that you can keep them well off the ground until the carrots are well established and thus avoid most of the fly problems.

xx
Can carrot soil be reused?

Started by seeNeutral on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 21:44
by Ice
xx
Soil Mix & carrot fly rumour

Started by Arls0308 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 21:01
by DD.
xx
Carrot Fly living in soil over winter?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 22:37
by JayG
xx
Carrot,Parsnip soil tilth

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 22:30
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 37 queries.