raspberries again

• 2 Replies

rem858

raspberries again
« on: August 30, 2010, 13:29 »
i have been offered some raspberry canes from an overgrown garden nearby which i have to take this week (not ideal i know) i have 2 questions

should i try to replant them as they are
 or should i cut either or both varieties down to the ground  to help them settle in
 i still would like fruit of both next year if possible
thanks in advance

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: raspberries again
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 18:59 »
You mention "both varieties"; you need to know whether they are summer or autumn-fruiting types.

Whichever they are this is not the ideal time to transplant them, particularly the autumn-fruiters because they should now be going all out to produce fruit.

I suggest if they are summer-fruiting you cut out any weak or brown canes now, if they are autumn perhaps you should reduce them by half so that the newly-transplanted roots have less top growth to try and support (then cut them down to the ground sometime over late autumn/winter.)

If you don't know which is which I would cut all of them down to about half their current height and then leave them alone; you won't kill them by doing that and can sort them out next year!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

SG6

Re: raspberries again
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 21:09 »
If you want raspberries take them.
Water first if possible, get as much soil as possible, move to nice new home, water again, apply mulch. ???

Don't see any point in cutting back, especially if you are hoping for fruit next year.  :blush:

You can work out what they are later, as in next year. :D :D :D

xx
raspberries

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 15:14
by samuria
xx
raspberries

Started by Neil Doncaster on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 21:22
by Paul Plots
xx
raspberries

Started by VioletSky on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 16:05
by JayG
xx
Raspberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 13:14
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 40 queries.