What have you planted already????

• 37 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What have you planted already????
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2021, 10:15 »
1st and 2nd early potatoes now planted, mains going in either sometime this coming week or after Easter. Carrot seed tapes laid down although as carrot seeds hardly ever seem to produce seedlings on my plot, I'm probably wasting my time and money there.
I know that feeling - the only way I can grow them is in 2 tubs (a blue barrel cut in half) of sieved soil and bought compost mix.

Tommy54321

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2021, 10:03 »
I have put in my peas, red onions and first earlies last week. I will sort adding my rasied beds and add some compost then plant some leeks and lettuce in there........I frankly have no idea   :D   The weather is good this week, but being UK I suspect it will snow next week hahah

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2021, 11:13 »
1st and 2nd early potatoes now planted, mains going in either sometime this coming week or after Easter. Carrot seed tapes laid down although as carrot seeds hardly ever seem to produce seedlings on my plot, I'm probably wasting my time and money there.
I know that feeling - the only way I can grow them is in 2 tubs (a blue barrel cut in half) of sieved soil and bought compost mix.
Not much success last year with carrots, so trying something different -  dug a trench about 30cm wide and 20 deep and filled with a mixture of multi purpose compost and sand 50/50, hoping they'll grow better in there than my sticky clay soil. Nothing to lose really, so giving it a go. Hoping to do parsnips the same.

al78

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2021, 11:27 »
Not much success last year with carrots, so trying something different -  dug a trench about 30cm wide and 20 deep and filled with a mixture of multi purpose compost and sand 50/50, hoping they'll grow better in there than my sticky clay soil. Nothing to lose really, so giving it a go. Hoping to do parsnips the same.

I started carrots in the raised bed in my greenhouse back in February and they are growing fine. It worked well last year. I am guessing with the heavy clay on my plot I might have to resort to digging a trench and creating a micro-bed of light soil/compost/sand mixture to grow carrots. It just seems like a lot of effort and doeesn't really fit with my aim to minimise digging. I wonder how the no-diggers on clay soil manage to grow carrots.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2021, 15:18 »
I have put in my peas, red onions and first earlies last week. I will sort adding my rasied beds and add some compost then plant some leeks and lettuce in there........I frankly have no idea   :D   The weather is good this week, but being UK I suspect it will snow next week hahah

You've been reading the long-range forecast, haven't you?  :lol:

Nobbie

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2021, 10:01 »
Just threw in half a dozen first earlies left over from planting in tubs. They were from tubers that I had cut in half and were starting to shrivel so I thought I may as well plant them. May pop a cloche over them to give them more of a chance.

al78

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2021, 19:10 »
Just put in the maincrop potatoes, that's all the potatoes planted now. They shouldn't come to harm when we go through another spell of January next week.

jaxter

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2021, 10:03 »
Garlic went in December, onions and potatoes now in both early and main crop. Nothing else yet, we had frost this morning and the next few days are cold. Greenhouse being built this week, so I’ll start sowing then.

xx
Planted out veg

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2021, 10:55
by Subversive_plot
xx
anyone planted yet

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 06, 2015, 19:17
by Twitch
xx
I wish I'd planted..............

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 19:10
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
Planted out veg

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2022, 06:04
by Growster...

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 49 queries.