...and now for the slate

• 6 Replies

Spana

...and now for the slate
« on: February 24, 2010, 17:28 »
Just out of interest i would like to hear your thoughts and what you would do :)
OH has built what i think is a very nice extension onto our kitchen.  He has done most of the work himself, just having someone to plaster and for the electrics.

We have decide to have a slate floor so today we've been to see three places selling slate.
First one sold slate from China.  Looked ok  if a little dark.

Second one, the slate came from Brazil.  They had 2 colours, both looked the same to me but again OK.
Both came in at £500-£600  and they said the slate would last at least 30years

Stop no.3 was Delabole slate quarry, just 10 miles from us.  The slate is a lovely soft colour, much paler than the other two and did look beautiful.  Expected life of this slate is 500 years when it can be lifted and relaid.  Price £3200.

The Delabole slate is local, very lovely and in-keeping with our house.  We have other Delabole slate floors put down between 1650-1700, but its £3200 and in 30years,- the life of the other two-  we will probably both be gray ash in a jar.
What would you do.

new_2_veg

Re: ...and now for the slate
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 18:10 »
what you do is down to your personal choice.

the key with slate is the impregnator, seal it well and you will have a nice floor .
you got to remember you get adhesive on the slate when its not sealed it will stain.

my customers where happy to give the face of the tile a coat of sealer and then lay them.

seal twice more and then grout.

you can seal a 4th time over the grount but remember it will put a sheen on it.

if you are not worryed about the sheen, its worth doing as will stop the grout disscolouring.

any other questions please feel free to email me

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

Spana

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 18:17 »

my customers where happy to give the face of the tile a coat of sealer and then lay them.

nathan

Thats a good tip, thanks Nathan

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 18:19 »
It is a dilema if you are looking at ethical reasons as well as cost. If money was no object I would go for the delabole (not living far from there myself) have you thought about reclaimed slate or approaching the quarry direct?
p.s the extension looks lovely :)

new_2_veg

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 18:25 »
not a problem,

its not that often that i do know enough to share with people but when i do know something you will find im passononate about it.

tiling was my chosen trade and a back accident was the cause of me giving up.

i still do bits as and when i can, just to keep my hand in and my knowlage up

like i said any help you need feel free to contact me

nathan

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 18:25 »
It really is a big difference....

If you had a modern box on a housing estate the choice would be easy. If your considering the local slate then its not completely out of the question ? Does the outside of the building warrant spending so much on a floor.

The local product gives far more character and should give you added value if you ever do sell.  Id consider it an investment and buy the good stuff, especially if you prefer the colour.

Can you ask the quarry for a better price? Or are there any grants or similar from the council for buying local materials?

new_2_veg

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 18:27 »
It is a dilema if you are looking at ethical reasons as well as cost. If money was no object I would go for the delabole (not living far from there myself) have you thought about reclaimed slate or approaching the quarry direct?
p.s the extension looks lovely :)

uk slate splinters more than imported and re-claimed slate isnt graded and planed like the modern stuff so takes twice as long to lay and you need more adhesive

nathan

xx
gravel or slate to deter slugs?

Started by GD on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 22:47
by grinling

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.