Bullying

• 10 Replies

rileyslab

Bullying
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:22 »
Hi I am new to keeping chickens. I have noticed that one of my Bluebells is constantly following around and bullying one of the Warrens. How can I stop this happening?

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
Re: Bullying
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:16 »
not lot u can do really just leave them too it and it will sort it self out usually

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 14:23 »
Make sure you have plenty of hiding places for her to get away from the bully. Sadly you will always have one at the bottom of the pile and she appears to be it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 14:29 »
My Elkie is one of 4, (was 6, but lost 2), and has always been the lowest in the pecking order, and knows when and when not to keep out of the way....she's just over 2 now, and most of the time they all live alongside each other quite happily, but will squabble over food, water and treats.....make sure you have more than one feeding station to ensure your bullied one is able to eat/drink.  As previously mentioned, they will sort their own issues out. 

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 14:46 »
It is not always the hen lowest in the pecking order that is getting pecked. A couple of times the lowest hen of mine has befriended the top hen and avoided grief from other higher ranking hens.
Often the hen that has to be pecked most by no1 hen is no 2 .

On the plus side the lowest ranking hen can get to be the tamest with you !

As said before they are just sorting out who's boss. :)

barley

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 21:07 »
I have a wimp of a chicken who sets her self up to be bullied by dashing out the way

when I feed is the worst time , so I always just feed her out of sight of the others to make sure she gets grub otherwise I leave well alone

rileyslab

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 03:26 »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have done everything advised and no change. I will leave them to it and see how it goes. They have only been together just under 2 weeks so hopefully it will settle down in time. Its just a bit sad to watch.  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:02 »
make sure you have several feeding stations (and drinkers) so that the bullies cant guard all of them at the same time - this will ensure she gets to eat.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 08:16 »
Two weeks is not so long a time in which to sort out the pecking order. Should it continue and become more than an aimed peck, you need to remove the bully for about two weeks but keep her in sight of the others. When she goes back in she will be lower down the pecking order. This usually sorts things out :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 13:41 »
Also try putting a pecking block in their run to try and divert the bully's attention away from the Warren? My girls started to bully one of their own flock when she lost her eye (picking on the weakest)  - the bullying lasted a couple of weeks but they gradually lost interest. Interestingly a year or so on, Carmen (one eye) is bullying my new girls! What goes around....

snow white

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 14:14 »
I gave my girls two months to get on with it and I ended up separating them.  I only have four so split them into two friends each run.  Never had a problem since.  It had started to get blooming:(

xx
Bullying

Started by hulgrin on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 14:10
by hulgrin
xx
Bullying

Started by chicken little on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 17:13
by urban-chickens
xx
Bullying hen

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 17:22
by Frizzle1
xx
Bullying

Started by cejx on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 18:45
by cejx

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 36 queries.