Heat lamp vs Electric hen

• 7 Replies

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
Heat lamp vs Electric hen
« on: August 27, 2011, 21:27 »
Hi
well title says it all really i have 14 days till hatch day and i'm wondering which will be best also is there much difference in electric used? i've been looking at the brinsea eco glow has anyone had experience of it?
oh also our little chicks will be kept in the house which is fairly warm

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Heat lamp vs Electric hen
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 21:34 »
Ive used both and theres no difference really with the results.  The electric hen is probably slightly cheaper to use but I really havn't noticed any major differences in price.

Not much help really eh!  :lol: :lol:

Saying that the chicks do tend to jump ontop of the electric hen as they get older and poo on it!

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 11:39 »
thanks :) i'm still not sure which to go for but think i'm edging towards the electric hen i was looking on ebay but it seems with postage they are not far of the price of a new one  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 11:48 »
I have a plastic box with a lamp in to use for the first week then a Brinsea electric hen for after that period. So far I haven't needed to use either but have them as a backup in case a broody rejects any chicks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 20:50 »
Also have used both and probably on balance prefer the hen. The electric hen apparently uses far less electricity than the heat lamp but never actually measured it to check this. I have found that I had less losses with quail chicks under the hen but not huge numbers but could be chance and no difference with ducklings. The downside I found for the hen was that I couldn't see what was going on under it and I'm nosy!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Dominic

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:37 »
Depends really.
I used a 40w light bulb, so its costs roughly 0.4p an hour to run.
If you use a 250w light bulb, it will cost 2.5p an hour to run.

A 25w electric hen will be cheaper than both.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:00 »
I've used both and prefer the Electirc hen as it mimics the action of a broody - the chicks go out and "play" and nip back under the electric hen for a warm. The only disadvantage to the hen is that even on it's lowest height setting it is still a little too tall for newly hatched chicks to place their backs against (that's how it works). However, I got over this by putting a deep layer of wood shavings under it and pressing the hen into it until the chicks can stand under it with their backs just touching the plate. They seem to prefer it this way and it's fab seeing a row of tiny faces looking out on the world!
Yes, they do climb all over it (and poo!) when a little older and mine seemed to like perching on the two outer arms, but I've no problems with getting the poo off - it goes so hard that it comes off in flakes. I use a hard plastic spatula which will lift it off without scratching.

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 15:21 »
Thanks for the replys everyone i think i will go for the electric hen i think it will work out better and i think it will be better for the chicks to not have a light shining on them 24hrs a day
I'm getting very excited now only 10 days to go and i'm getting together all the bits for the brooder i can hardly wait just fingers crossed they hatch  :unsure:

xx
Heat mat or Lamp

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 10:27
by Casey76
xx
Heat lamp

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 14:47
by gracie
xx
Type of heat lamp

Started by gracie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 08:38
by Dominic
xx
Chicks heat lamp

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:30
by Fifitrix

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 36 queries.