Cucumber production - what's normal?

• 8 Replies

ex-cavator

Cucumber production - what's normal?
« on: June 24, 2011, 13:33 »
It's my first year growing cucs & a bit disappointing. After losing a couple of plants early, I only had one indoor plant (Telegraph?) in our conservatory. I've kept it fed & watered & it grew to 7ft before I pinched it out. We've had four reasonable size & very tasty cucs from it & we'll get one, maybe two more, but the plant now has mildew (I've been removing the bottom leaves as they get badly infected) and has stopped producing new flowers. Tbh, I had thought it might go on producing through the season, but maybe I was misinformed.

So, this might be perfectly normal - I just don't know. Can you tell me what I can expect so I can plan for next season? Have I done OK or should I have done something different / or would different varieties be more productive? Unfortunately all of my ridge cucs have perished once they've been planted out on the lotty but that's another story  :blush:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 13:35 by ex-cavator »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Cucumber production - what's normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 15:04 »
Cucumbers should come with the middle name of kamikaze to be honest  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like your plant might need a feed to boost intself into more flower production
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 16:00 »
Cukes can be really hard to grow. They like plenty of water but do not like to get their feet wet. They like warmth but also need a moist atmosphere. And even if you get that right they can still just give up and die.  ::) ::)  This year has been particularly difficult year for cukes even in greenhouses just because of the lack of warmth and sunlight in many places. I lost four out of five plants and the fifth is not doing much so am trying again hoping that we get a good July/August/September. Hope your plant improves.

ex-cavator

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 16:56 »
Thanks, guys. Mines been in the conservatory which is probably warmer than the greenhouse, has been watered most days without getting it's feet wet, and fed every week. So i guess it just doesn't like me. Will the mildew affect production? Is it too late to start some more off?  :unsure:

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 18:04 »
I have had plants affected by mildew in the past - I removed the leaves and the plant did continue to produce cukes but probably not as many as if the plant had not had the mildew. Regarding starting new plants - I planted new seeds about two weeks ago - they germinated within 5 days and now have several true leaves. They are greenhouse plants and should probably do OK provided we get some sunshine in July/August - anyway I decided that it was worth a chance.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 19:11 »
I think a lot of the problem with cukes is a lack of humidity.

My plot neighbour has a 6 x 6 greenhouse which he uses just for cukes. He keeps it lined with bubblewrap all year. He deposits 6 mounds of rotted cow manure in it, and plants one cuke on the top of each mound.
He has an automatic watering system rigged up as well, and whenever you go in there it is like a sauna  :)

He has loads and loads of cucumbers every year. I saw him with about a dozen this morning.

So, all you need is a spare greenhouse, some bubblewrap, some cow muck, and an automatic watering sytem, and it's all systems go  :lol:
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 19:34 »
Following on from Comfortably Numb's comments:

Maybe it is not humid enough in your conservatory  :unsure:

daisy1990

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 14:44 »
I agree they are temperamental, this year I have somewhat neglected the two plants I had and they have flourished.  One of them had over 50 flowers on it and we have had 10 cucumbers off so far all lovely with lots more ready.  The obvious problem now is what to do with them all (we gave some to a friend for his tropical fish last night!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 21:17 »
Another vote for benign neglect here  :lol: I had no idea people found cukes so challenging, this year I have 1 telegraph and a beth alpha (I grow these every year) plus a gherkin outside. All of them are very bonny and I really don't do anything particularly special with them. I do make sure they are well supported and feed them once a week with seaweed extract plus they are grown in a mix of compost and manure (very heavy on the manure). I keep them on staging which keeps them free draining while allowing me to give them plenty of water.
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

clip
Cucumber Disease

Started by argonaut on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2020, 14:40
by JayG
xx
Pumpkin & cucumber

Started by mickmick on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 21:38
by mickmick
xx
Cucumber damage

Started by 4th season allot on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 19:06
by mumofstig
xx
Cucumber problem

Started by Topscaff on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2016, 10:25
by adri123

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.