raspberries

• 30 Replies

VioletSky

raspberries
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:57 »
I'm going to grow raspberries for the first time, so excuse my lack of basics. I read that they need 18" between plants, 6' between rows. I only have one row, but I've allowed 5' width plus 2' either side for paths.

I read that if I plant them in a raised bed 2' wide it will help prevent them getting waterlogged. But if I construct a 2' bed within my 5' space, will I be restricting their growth to only 2' wide? Do they grow absolutely vertically, or even if the base is restricted to 2', will the bush out wider?

Shadrak

Re: raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 18:56 »
As far as my raspberries go they grow vertically no bush at all so they should be fine. Hope this helps till some of the better posters find your topic.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 20:08 »
If you've got 5' available you could put in two rows as you've got access either side.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 20:21 »
Raspberries really only grow straight up, but over the years the width of the rootstock increases as they send up more new shoots further away from the original bit you planted, until you have quite a wide row.

If you have grass paths around your bed any suckers that come up too far away will just be mown away :)

VioletSky

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 22:03 »
ok, so I can grow 2 rows of raspberries in a 5' space cos I have paths either side of the 5'? Will I be able to get between the two rows?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 22:07 »
You would be able to get between the rows for a year or so, especially if you cut out old canes from time to time.

Suckers do come up a little way from the base of the original canes and you can always remove any in the way  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

VioletSky

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 09:09 »
Great, thanks for the help :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 09:20 »
I use a 'Bob Flowerdew method' for a small patch of canes - plant them in a circle (or a square if you're using one end of a raised bed) without any supports, then when the canes approach maximim growth bend each one over and tie the tip to its neighbour, about 25% of the way down from the top. Work your way round the circle. In this way each cane is tied to its neighbour and withstands the weight of the fruit and any gales.

Works well for small patches - feel free to ask for a photo if this doesn't make sense.

SS

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:28 »
I like the sound of the bob flowerdew method. What diameter is the circle Swing Swang?

I only intend to grow a few canes ( maybe 6 maximum), in my garden. As I was concerned about runners taking over I was going to plant them in raised beds. I have no scaffold planks left though. So I was going to use the top half of plastic dusbins ( of which I have several we just went to wheelie bins in this area). I was thinking about lining these up and planting the canes in a row. But I'm now wondering about planting 3 in each bin. If the space is too small I could arrange 3 bins in a circle with perhaps 2 canes in each which would give an overall bigger circle.

What do people think ?

How deep do the runners go?

Thanks

MoreWhisky

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 12:12 »
Ive got loads of suckers come up on my Autumn ones , should i limit the amount ? if so to how many ?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 13:11 »
Ive got loads of suckers come up on my Autumn ones , should i limit the amount ? if so to how many ?

If you have the room....just leave them to spread.........more lovely raspberries :)

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 23:56 »
I put new canes in last spring in a raised bed, 2 rows, 3 varieties to last the summer.  I got some lovely Autumn raspberries and so far they all seem to be budding up well.  I put sunflowers in between the rows last year for the birds and bees.

Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

VioletSky

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 08:25 »
Lulu, how big is your raised bed?

Swing Swang

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 08:52 »
andtiggertoo - the circle is about 6' in diameter, but I guess that the principle would work for larger areas - I'll go out and take a picture

Swing Swang

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03 »
Back now - hope these give you the idea. They were tied down late summer and a couple of the ties need attending to so the circle is looking a little ragged. For scale the paving slabs are 70cm by 70cm.

Regards,

SS

xx
raspberries

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 20:38
by IanYORK
xx
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 12:10
by JayG
xx
Raspberries

Started by debbiedoll on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:27
by tode
xx
Raspberries

Started by wilj1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2013, 19:20
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.