3 new RIR pullets!

• 18 Replies

CLARE SWANN

3 new RIR pullets!
« on: October 29, 2008, 19:02 »
Hello fellow chicken fans!

I am the proud new owner of three 21 week old RIR pullets - April, May and June!
My intention is to let them roam free around the garden by day - they have a cosy coop to retire to at night. I had thought they would be OK to go and explore by day three - but a week into ownership I am a little nervous of letting them out just yet as they are still rather nervous. I am frightened they run away!! One is definitely dominant and one rather subservient - I want the quiet one to have a break from the other two!!
Any advice on when the right time is to let them go  - I would be most grateful! I really am very keen to make them happy hens as quickly as possible - I hate seeing them restricted space wise. :(
CMWSWANN

Jellyhead

3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 19:10 »
I would have thought that they know where bed is now so they shouldnt run away. Can they get to the coop if they want to once you have let them out? I might be wrong tho cos I have mine in a huge pen so have never had to worry.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 20:23 »
Hi Clare welcome to the forums  :D

You could always clip their wings, it don't hurt them and will stop them flying up to high if that worries you. But let them out with you in the garden for a start so you can keep an eye on them. They soon learn where home is  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Vember

3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 20:58 »
Hi Clare

Welcome to the Hen House :)

Can't really add much, it is amazing how quickly they learn where home is :D
I wing clip any flighty new hens, but only the once by the time they re -grow they know whats what :)

Pop over to chicken chat with photo's of your girls, we can't get enough of seeing photo's :D

Sarah

Sassy

How do I get t chicken chat?
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:37 »
Sorry I am being really thick but can't see how to get to 'chicken chat'  :roll:  :roll:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: How do I get t chicken chat?
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:50 »
Quote from: "Sassy"
Sorry I am being really thick but can't see how to get to 'chicken chat'  :roll:  :roll:

It's just one of our forums

Click Here

mother hen

• Experienced Member
3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:50 »
From this page go to top, click on home and then on forums and you are in the hallway! Happy chatting :D
janet

CLARE SWANN

THANKS
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 19:12 »
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE - I MAY CLIP THEIR WINGS, BUT TO BE HONEST I FELT THAT THEIR ABILITY TO FLY IS A GOOD MEANS OF SELF DEFENSE AGAINST ROGUE DOGS ETC.
I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS - SUNDAY IS THE DAY WHEN I AM OUT IN THE GARDEN - WILL LET THEM EXPLORE THEN!!
CLARE :?

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 07:55 »
We had our chickens for 2 weeks before being brave enough to let them out in the garden because I was convinced I would never get them back in, but food does it every time! I only have to walk into the penned area rattling their tin of corn, or bang a spoon on a bowl, and they are there like a shot! In fact they follow me up and down the garden in the hope of a treat all the time.

Food is definitely the way to their hearts (and their loyalty!)

Jacky.

Hawkins

3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:13 »
Mealworms work for my girls when they are reluctant to go back in or it is bed time.

Em
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 18:01 »
Welcome Clare, you'll find everyone is friendly here and lots of advice.

We let ours out on the first day after they'd been in the shed a few hours, my garden is quite secure as we have a dog.  We put them back into the shed when it started going dark.  They were absolutely fine, found their own way after that.

CLARE SWANN

AWFUL!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 14:44 »
My days as a chicken owner have been short lived!!
Let the girls out yesterday as planned - they loved it! Had previously warned neighbours with dogs to be extra vigilant, dog from next door got in and took one of them! They had been out only 4hrs. Can't find her anywhere!!! Can't live wondering if this will happen again, so I have given the two remaining to a neighbour with a secure paddock. They can at least live the natural life I had wanted for them - I never intented to keep them in a run!

I am envious of you all - just wanted to live alongside animals that brought something to the table -to show my little one how happy animals that provide can be!!!
Enjoy them!
Clare

Quote from: "smiler43"
Welcome Clare, you'll find everyone is friendly here and lots of advice.

We let ours out on the first day after they'd been in the shed a few hours, my garden is quite secure as we have a dog.  We put them back into the shed when it started going dark.  They were absolutely fine, found their own way after that.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 15:50 »
Hi Clare,

I am soooo sorry! I do really feel for you. It's a responsibility keeping any animal and providing a good life for them, but please don't feel badly. I'm sure you gave them the best life you could in the time you had them, and life is not always safe, things happen that you can't always control.

I know it's not easy now, but I really wouldn't let it stop you keeping them again in future.

I worry every time mine go out in the garden, but I weigh up the peace of mind of keeping them shut up against the real enjoyment they get when foraging in the garden. At the end of the day I would prefer to take some risks to give them a better life.

All the best and good luck for the future.

Jacky. X

woodburner

3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 16:15 »
It's always the owners responsibility to keep animals in, (rather than keeping other peoples' animals out). So if the neighbours' dog came into your garden and got the chook it is their fault. i.e. If it comes to it you could take them to court.

I'm not sure who the best people to advise might be. The council's EHO is probably a good place to start. (Environmental health department.)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

smiler43

• Experienced Member
3 new RIR pullets!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 19:30 »
awww that's so sad Clare.  Can't you make the garden secure, it's such a shame you have to go without chickens in your life because of others.

xx
Pullets

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 10:44
by richyrich7
xx
pullets

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 11:16
by craig1981
xx
How much for pullets just now

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 20:27
by Hans Mum
xx
Pullets

Started by Andy J on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 22:30
by henpecked

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 38 queries.