Signs of ageing?

• 8 Replies

helens-hens

Signs of ageing?
« on: October 29, 2012, 13:21 »
I have a hybrid hen who is probably coming up to about 3 years old. She lost her 'sister' 4 weeks ago  :( and as the single life didn't seem to suit her (wasn't keen to come down in the morning & generally moping around) we got her a new POL hybrid for company.

Having company really does seem to have given her a new lease of life which I am very relieved about but I have noticed that she does still spend quite a lot of time just standing around, sometimes nodding off. Inbetween she scratches around, has a good appetite and generally seems fine. She hasn't laid for the best part of 6 months now and no longer shows any sign at all of being in lay which I am not concerned about.

Do older hens tend to act this way or should I be concerned? If she was a younger hen I would be worried but as she was one of my first hens I am not sure what to expect at this stage of her life.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Helen

8doubles

Re: Signs of ageing?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 15:27 »
One of the best indicators of hen health is the tail , tail up is good - tail down apart from when raining is an indicator that all is not well.
Is her comb a healthy red ?
I have a 5 year old hen who does sit down more than a young hen , she will also go to a nest box to get out of bad weather for a couple of hours !

Older and wiser ! :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 15:35 »
I have 3 four and a half year old hybrids, one of these is a quieter chicken than the others... she will sit around a bit more, sunbath some... just generally be less active.... she's the one that has always laid the biggest eggs (76-80g) and although she hasn't laid many this year I think it is what's taken it out of her a little  :(

She still runs about when she wants to and is keen for her food and insists above all the others that her corn is hand fed and simply won't lower herslef to eat off of the floor (well not until there's none left in the hand that is...)

I put it down to old age... but I do worry!

Hope your chicken is ok and that it's just slowing down a bit as she gets older...

Hannah :)

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 15:43 »
Thanks for your reply 8doubles.Her tail is up (well as far up as it goes - she has never carried it very high!).

I've always thought that about the tail & though I still think it is a good indicator, the hen I lost a few weeks ago valiantly kept her tail up pretty much to the end even though it was obvious she was unwell. She was top of the pecking order & I wondered if she was trying not to show weakness (you know hens seem to hide their illnesses until they really are ill).

Her comb seems OK. It is just she seems to be slowing down - as you say maybe older & wiser! Of course the new POL, Florence, is full of beans & very flighty - perhaps seeing her is making me draw comparisons which is perhaps a bit unfair with the age difference.....

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 15:47 »
Thanks Hannah. Yes you do tend to worry about them - they are such little characters it is sad to see them off colour.

Guess they can't stay like spring chickens for ever!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 16:17 »
My younger ones (about one and a half now) need to be quicker on their feet as the older ones are quite boisterous  :lol:

I have a Florence too   :D

Hannah :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:44 »
My old girls spend a lot more time sleeping during the day than the young ones.  

The eldest is 9 and the fittest of the lot, but she goes into the house for a siesta every day and if the weather is bad, spends most of the day in there.  The other 2 old girls are both 7 - 1 is another one who likes a snooze in the house each day - usually right by the pophole so she can keep an eye on what's going on.  The other likes to sleep on top of the house and has been showing signs of getting a bit confused and lost recently, but she's generally happy so I leave her to it  :)

These are pure breed bantams so have a longer lifespan.  Halve the ages for a hybrid and the 3 year old is just reaching the nodding old lady stage, so look after her and she'll still have a rewarding retirement to live  :D

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 13:24 »
Thanks for all your replies, they have put my mind at rest a bit. I will keep an eye on her & let her enjoy her retirement  :).

As I mentioned before, it is probably not fair to compare her to the 21/22 week old Florence who flits around like greased lightening, full of youthfull energy  ::)

grinling

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 22:39 »
Speckles, who is 7, looks a bit greyer around the eyes.

xx
Ageing Chickens

Started by D on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 20:03
by joyfull
xx
Signs of an old hen

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 16:11
by evie2
xx
Signs of first egg?

Started by lorraine46 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 14:46
by lorraine46
xx
Laying signs

Started by skelly on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 09:46
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.