5 SILKIE CHICKS

• 2 Replies

CLARE SWANN

5 SILKIE CHICKS
« on: April 27, 2009, 21:48 »
TRYING AGAIN!

I have five, 2 week old silkie chicks (and their mum) :) Don't know what they are yet - but it is delightful watching them and ultimately discovering if they are girls or boys!! What a fabulous mum they have too!
We have made the garden secure and the run larger - so the neighbors dog will be hard pressed to catch them when they are mature enough to roam free!
A couple of questions if I may;
When should I move them on to growers pellets? When should I move them out of the A frame they are currently in, into their permanent housing?
I was so grateful for all your comments when I had my RIR girls (who are living in the lap of luxury in my neighbors paddock) and am very exited to be a chicken owner once again - looking forward to hearing from you. Clare x ::)
CMWSWANN

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: 5 SILKIE CHICKS
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 22:13 »
Hello again! good on you to give it another go  :D I remember you story with the neighbours dog and the girlie you lost! I felt real sad for you, anyway welcome back! little ones can move onto growers at about 6-8wks old but you could mix some in with their crumb from about 4-5 wks, I know that medicated crumb and pellets shouldnt be fed to laying hens??? dont know how people get round that one other than using un medicated. would wait till they fully feathered (personally) and weather bit warmer! 5-6 wks seems to be the norm around here!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLARE SWANN

Re: 5 SILKIE CHICKS
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:02 »
THANKS!
The chicks are growing at a rate of knots and developing real personality - I am loving every minute of caring for them!
Clare

xx
New Serama and silkie chicks - first timer needs advice

Started by stokiechicks on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 14:47
by daisy1990
xx
Silkie

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 08:11
by New shoot
xx
help me sex silkie

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 21:44
by YoungChickenLover
xx
Can Silkie Bantams Fly ??

Started by JANEVANS02 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 11:37
by Esme

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 38 queries.