Internal Layouts

• 11 Replies

Lardman

Internal Layouts
« on: April 05, 2014, 14:42 »
There's really not a lot of choice in layout of a 6' wide greenhouse but the 8' wide is proving a little more difficult. It's a gravel floor so I'll be growing in pots or bags so everything but the bench and door is flexible. 

Here's the best I can come up with, the only difficulty I can see would be walking around it when the plants grow (1ft paths) does anyone have anything better? I have the usual suspect to go in there (toms, peppers, cukes). Although Im tempted to keep the 6x10 as a humid house and this one as arid.
greenhouse_layout_a.jpg

Beetroot Queen

Re: Internal Layouts
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 15:03 »
Our greenhouse is 8 x 6 and I am suprised how small the space is. Its on ground so plants will be direct into soil. We have two slabs in the middle for a path and I am actually wondering what I am meant to grow in such a small space.
No bench in ours just beds.

Hubby is just about to top up with new compost as the beds are low. I wondered about carrots in the greenhouse as people grow them in the poly.

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 21:18 »
no matter what size green house or PT you have there's never enough space. lol

as you're growing in pots or bags you have the advantage of being able to move things if they get in the way or too big.

basically put the tallest plants nearest the glass. you can lean over or step over low growing plants that are nearer the middle.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 22:50 »
Our greenhouse is 8 x 6 and I am suprised how small the space is. Its on ground so plants will be direct into soil. We have two slabs in the middle for a path and I am actually wondering what I am meant to grow in such a small space.
No bench in ours just beds.

Hubby is just about to top up with new compost as the beds are low. I wondered about carrots in the greenhouse as people grow them in the poly.
Mine is like yours bq, ive already topped up mine  1 foot deep plus ground
diggity dig dig

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 22:58 »
Shame the bench is at the end cos you loose the bed with the most height.

You'd have enough room to grow peppers up on the bench if it stays at the end ;)

I'd not have a middle bed, and just plant the sides in staggered rows in wider beds

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 23:17 »
I tend to grow big stuff to the back so it still gets the sun and smaller stuff at the front medium plants at the end ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 23:41 »
I only have the centre 2ft wide path in my 10 x 8.  I grow in the borders usually though.  This year will be cucumbers growing up next to the glass. 2 rows of tomatoes in front, but at 2ft spacing so I can still reach the cues.  Sometimes I have one row of tomatoes, then the chillies and peppers in front, but this year my chillies will be in the little geenhouse.

Not so many tomatoes this year as the wind finally won the battle with my polytunnel!  :(  I don't really want to replace the poly as I don't know how long I will be living here!)

But as mentioned Lardy, with pots they can be moved.  With your layout, I think I would do tomatoes at the back nearest the glass, chillies and peppers in front, and put mesh round the centre bed with the cucumbers in the middle.  Low enough so you can reach over to pick them!  ;)

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 11:12 »
The bench wasn't my best idea  :blush: it was supposed to only be 6' allowing me to plant right into the corners but I got carried away when making it.  :nowink: as it's my heated bed with over 100kgs of sand in it, It's staying put for this season at least, but there's plenty of room on the bench for the peppers.

I should also have marked the louvre vent on the left hand side, which I will need to be able to reach.

I never thought of putting the cukes in the middle, I could drop some mesh from the ridge and train them up that, that would keep the paths wider - good thinking Grannie!

The 6x10 I have has 1 bed all the way round, but the soil is very poor and very sandy and just doesn't retain any moisture at all.
greenhouse_layout_b.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 12:38 »
I should also have marked the louvre vent on the left hand side, which I will need to be able to reach.

Invest in an automatic opener  ;)  I have 2 of the wax-filled (I think  :unsure:) models which I have had for years.  They are only around the £15-£20 mark even now.

Easy to fit, nothing really to break in them, just install and leave them to it.  Saves delving through the foliage to find the vent or window latch mid season  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 16:01 »
The bench wasn't my best idea  :blush: it was supposed to only be 6' allowing me to plant right into the corners but I got carried away when making it.  :nowink: as it's my heated bed with over 100kgs of sand in it, It's staying put for this season at least, but there's plenty of room on the bench for the peppers.

I never thought of putting the cukes in the middle, I could drop some mesh from the ridge and train them up that, that would keep the paths wider - good thinking Grannie!

The 6x10 I have has 1 bed all the way round, but the soil is very poor and very sandy and just doesn't retain any moisture at all.

My mesh I tied to canes in the ground.  If you bring the mesh down from the ridge, remember that you still need to pick those that grow inside the mesh!  ;) ;)

In the smaller one, if the ground is that poor, stick to pots and grow bags, then at the end of each season, tip the old compost in and some nice fertilizer?

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 18:33 »
My mesh I tied to canes in the ground.  If you bring the mesh down from the ridge, remember that you still need to pick those that grow inside the mesh!  ;) ;)

I've put WPM under the chippings didn't want to puncture it, I had in mind just 1 panel (8x4) a single piece of 2" square weldmesh in the middle with 3-4 pots on either side.

In the smaller one, if the ground is that poor, stick to pots and grow bags, then at the end of each season, tip the old compost in and some nice fertilizer?
You wouldn't know by looking at it but I've done that every season, there's something about my sand pit which just eats compost, it disappears to nowhere. When I get 5 minutes  ::)  Im going to dismantle it, build a dwarf wall to raise it up and fill the beds with new topsoil / compost ... but that's a way off.

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 18:51 »
I made the slats on the bench removable so that plants in buckets could grow up through.
 IMO the centre row of plants will be OTT unless you grow a la espaliers !

Cramming tomuch in can take the fun out of greenhouse growing and cause ventilation/ disease problems.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 18:53 by 8doubles »

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 41 queries.