Elder tree and red mite?

• 3 Replies

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
Elder tree and red mite?
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:49 »
just at the back of our run is a elder tree it is in a neighbours garden but over hangs our run,when the wind blows leaves off I have noticed they are crawling with insects some which look like mite grey and small.Pigeons roost in this tree so am i right in thinking this is where my pen gets its infestation from and if so besides fire is there anything i can do to stop it!This year it seems really bad if I stand up by the tree for 10 mins I can feel mites on me and am worried about taking them in the house! 
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

Helenaj

Re: Elder tree and red mite?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 14:04 »
I asked my husband about this (he fells trees for a living) and he says you can legally remove the branches that hang over your property if they are causing a hazard. However, you have to ask your neighbours if they want the wood back before disposing of it, or just put it over the fence, otherwise they can have you charged with theft of the wood!

Also check if the tree is listed (unlikely with an Elder - your neighbour should know) as you may not be able to trim it back.

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:23 »
thanks for the info,I did already know that i could trim the growth my side and do!
But the insects are blowing out with the leaves so cutting branches off will still shake the blighter's off  I am concerned about the infestation to me and the hens! :ohmy:
It has never been like this before but this year there must be millions of bugs up there,hopefully with the wind we are having the leaves will all be fallen and I can rack them up and burn them. ;) 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:42 »
they may not be red mites but tasty little bugs that your birds will love - could you photograph some with a penny or similar at the side so we can gauge the size?
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
elder tree

Started by samuria on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2019, 18:31
by samuria
xx
Ground Elder

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 10:47
by parsleypig
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 39 queries.