newbie here from southampton

• 9 Replies

mat whitlock

newbie here from southampton
« on: April 28, 2016, 19:43 »
Hi all

i applied for an allotment awhile ago and ive been told im 5th on the list so hopefully not long to go.
Im looking forward to spending some quality time with my children aged 12 10 8 and 2 at the allotment.

It will be a learning experience for all of us as i dont have a clue about gardening, but my kids are very interested in growing their own veg for the table.

Im sure im going to have lots of questions as the time goes on, i  was hoping to have got the allotment by now but at least it shouldnt be long

cheers all

mat
The purpose of our lives is to be happy

diary comments here :-   http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=123266.0

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: newbie here from southampton
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 20:36 »
Hi there and welcome to the forum, I hope you don't have to wait too long  :)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 21:36 »
Hello and welcome. Let's hope you get to the top of the list quickly.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:20 »
Hello & welcome to the site. Are there many allotments around you as that will speed you up the list if you're number 5, more chances of people giving up the more plots there are. Have a look on here at how to tame an allotment whilst you're waiting & read lots of threads for the same sort of thing. 😊 Not all allotments get handed over in good condition & can be challenging to say the least
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mat whitlock

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 13:44 »
Thanks for the replies all.

There are a few hundred allotments around my area and a few that are empty, so im hoping its not going to be long now.
we decided we couldnt wait any longer to start growing so i built a few planters and using the square foot idea.

got a few roots and summer veg in there at the moment, i will most likely convert it to a large herb garden and flower beds when i get the allotment, we love flowers and eat so many herbs so seems a good idea.

ive read and watched probably a 100hrs or more of videos and books, i just hope i have enough knowledge that i can get the allotment up together and suitable, if not i will no doubt pester you guys for answers haha

thanks again all

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 16:58 »
Welcome to the site  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 22:10 »
Welcome to the site..... it's a good way to wile away the hours when you can't be down at the allotment. 

I noticed your diary started today, just a warning, keep those tender sweet-corn, peas and beans etc safe under at least cloches or fleece until mid-may because of the cold nights or you will lose them all. 

The other thing to watch is the slugs/snails which will devour your whole planting of tiny seedlings of many of the things you can get in a GC now (probably too early anyway)but it can be disheartening to put out those tender young seedlings without any (blue) pellets and come back the next morning to a chomped empty row!

wighty

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 22:51 »
hello from me and welcome to the site from across the water.   Which part of Soton are you?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 11:15 »
Hello Mat and welcome. Your idea of starting with square foot gardening at home sounds like it would keep your children involved, which is great!

You could try contacting your local council on a regular basis to make sure they don't forget that empty plots could have new owners and one could be you! Our here is very slow at redistributing plots that have been abandoned, but do respond to ... well.. nagging, you might call it lol!!

Hope you don't have to wait too long and that you get something with useful trees or fruit bushes. Our new one was like a slice of meadow!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mat whitlock

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 20:52 »
hello from me and welcome to the site from across the water.   Which part of Soton are you?

im in Harefield near hedge end

xx
Hello All! Newbie here!!

Started by J3FF0RD on Welcome to the Forums

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 18:29
by Yorkie
grin

Started by Roy Hamilton on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2021, 09:41
by New shoot
smiley

Started by Mini Digger on Welcome to the Forums

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2020, 18:07
by Subversive_plot
xx

Started by James frond on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2020, 17:23
by James frond

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 41 queries.