Little creepy crawlies...

• 3 Replies

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
Little creepy crawlies...
« on: February 20, 2011, 22:46 »
Evening all,

Just a quick question.  Small white beetles crawling around on top of the compost in my pots.  Anything to worry about? 

The largest isn't longer than 2mm and they're all only about 0.5mm wide.  They're definitely beetles or bugs because I can see their legs and they're not larvae as far as I can work out because I never see flies anywhere!  The plants all seem to be in good health, but every time I add a bit of compost to my tomato pots to encourage more roots, a couple of day later I see these little critters crawling around.  God knows what they're eating, but they don't seem to be doing any harm?

Ideas?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Little creepy crawlies...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 22:59 »
I've moved your post to the "Grow Your Own" from Chatting NWI where I'm sure someone will view it and suggest an answer (might not be until the morning though!)  :closedeyes:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

TheSpartacat

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 23:19 »
If I was a betting lady, i would put my money on them being "Springtails".

They're common in compost heaps, I've had them in mine and they caused no problems- and help break the matter down. I read somewhere that they also feed on fungi and can help keep check on fungal diseases... so they're beneficial.

They tend to disappear eventually when the compost dries out after you've spread it and aerated it....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 23:21 by TheSpartacat »

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 00:21 »
Springtails is probably right but they could also be symphylids. Both are small and white. Symphylids are slimmer and springtails jump when disturbed.

Look on Google images.

xx
Caterpillars, slugs, creepy crawlies and how to kill them.

Started by BML on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 18:56
by Salmo
xx
crawlies on pepper plant

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2006, 20:32
by John

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 30 queries.