veg updates

• 5 Replies

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
veg updates
« on: May 30, 2006, 22:13 »
allotment photos from Sunday I hope my bean seedlings are still okay. Apparently it's been getting down to 3C in the area last night and tonight  :?
Anyone want to guess at what kind of peas I planted judging by the flower? They were another "surprise" packet at the seed swap and they were labeled as purple-flowered! That's not what I'd call purple!
I'm still totally in love with my pricey aluminum tags for my herbs that I bought at Chelsea Flower Show last week  :oops:
Container Garden photos from Saturday
Bok Choy/pak choi went well as a container crop but today I found FLEA BEETLES on them!! I don't know if they're just particularly bad this year or they sensed the bok choy were getting weak due to being quite rootbound but I just pulled them all up today, washed and trimmed them and they're in the fridge now.
I didn't photo the potatoes-in-bin-bag but I checked on those today too and while hunting for the red duke of york potatoes, I found a blue edzell (we planted two seed potatoes in the bin bag) doing quite well! Looking nice and blue  :lol: So even if the beaten up by the strong winds red duke of york doesn't work out, we'll get some blue taters.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

comic_muse

veg updates
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:17 »
I.M.H.O Flea Beetles became 'bad' after the Farmers started planting 1000's of acres of Rape, thus creating vast acreages of early / overwintered food for them which has allowed them to multiply in their billions !  I've got acres ( & acres) of Rape across the road from the ground ( & house) & the whole of the Vale of Evesham is surrounded by the 'evil' darned stuff. It is virtually impossible to grow any Brassicas without protection around our area at seedling stage without serious damage.  Fleece is the best bet, powders & the like are a faff....don't seem that effective & not very nice on things which invariably are nice to eat.....
......straight lines are for tidy minded people.....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
veg updates
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:43 »
Chelsea - oooh, we've posh people online :)
Never been to it, perhaps the word 'flowers' puts me off - is there much there to interest the vegetable gardener?

Incidentally, you take some really good photos - do you have a very good camera or is it all skill?  I keep ebaying cameras but holding back because the ones I fancy are, of course, the pricey ones.

I think our flea beetles have drowned, by the way.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

noshed

veg updates
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:19 »
Cameras - I've found the Kodak Easyshare ones to be cheap, easy to use and give good quality results - good enough for newspapers and magazines. Can't answer for the photographer though.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
veg updates
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:34 »
oh no don't tell me about the rapeseed fields. They just planted up a field near-ish by that used to be broad beans or left fallow  :( I'm already blaming those fields for my unusual allergies this year because I read they throw up volitile organic compounds  :shock: something like that. Yuck. Well I don't think I saw any on my radishes yet thankfully, I hope it stays that way.
John - I wouldn't recommend Chelsea to anyone who has brains enough to go to Hampton Court Palace Flower Show instead. It's larger, you can move around more easily and since the venue is larger, the exhibitors are allowed to bring plants. I basically saw the usual suspects I've been seeing at Hampton Court Flower Show for the past two years there. The strawberry tower stand people (which is quite impressive), Jekka's Herb Farm, a few succulent/cacti growers and flower things. A few educational bits like the Royal Society of Pathologists were there. Er. Maybe I should make this as a whole other post since I do have a few photos from it too  :oops:

Camera is Olympus D-340R 1.3MP which my dad gave me back in 2000. It is a very nice camera and just goes to show you that it isn't the megapixels, it's the actual build of the camera. Those poor quality camera phones boost 1.3MP or higher these days. If you read through those specs and compare them to some of the cameras in the cheap range available on morgan computers or the like, they just don't match up sometimes. This is 7 year old technology and yet they just keep producing crummy cameras. I've not been able to buy a new camera to replace this one for that reason. My father-in-law has a kodak easyshare and I've not seen very good photos come out of it, personally but then again, yes, I did do photography in university and I have SLR cameras and do home (black&white) film processing so it could be partly the photographer's fault too  :wink:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
veg updates
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 13:21 »
Think it's the photographer :)
I've an Olympus Camedia C-830L 1.3 Mpx too and your photos are much better.
Still have an SLR with 2 lenses but have used it for years - I suppose the days of film are going fast.

xx
Photo updates......

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 17:18
by Mitsy
xx
Christmas potato updates

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 19:48
by mashbintater
xx
Greenhouse Updates,Pictures and Discussion ** UPDATED 31/05/09 **

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 16:24
by garddwr
xx
Picture updates, this week and last week

Started by Heather_S on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2006, 14:12
by John

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 38 queries.