Help - invaded by a Muntjac

• 39 Replies

Sue32

• Experienced Member
Re: Help - invaded by a Muntjac
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 21:40 »
I just got my first plot.  The local council just allocated a complete field to new plots and within 2 days found deer tracks across it.  There are lots of muntjac near here.  There's also a rabbit warren just outside the field gate!  So I figured the plot was doomed unless I took action first.
So first thing I did was put up rabbit wire to 3ft.  A muntjac can jump this if they can be bothered, hopefull the other plots look easier prey.  If not then the fence posts are taller and I can add a strand of wire / tape.
I've started planting and no tracks lately.
Grazers was mentiond - I've seen it on the Harrods site.  Lots of garden centres sell Lion Roar (lion poo) which may help too, but I haven't tried either.
trying to be green except when blue

Oliver

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 12:16 »
The local council just allocated a complete field to new plots ...
Thank you for your post Sue. 'Jacanoodledo, chicken-wire and video tape' for me.
This is not quite the place for this, but I am delighted to see the Council has allocated some new plots for you. This makes such a change from councils selling plots as fast as they can go.  We have lost so many plots since the 70s because people were not using them. Now everyone wants them ... (allotment law states that is 6 parish residents want plots the council must oblige. Does the council own the site or it is just renting it on your behalf? Our parish council wanted to sell one of our allotment sites for housing (our sites are 'statutory' having been granted by act of parliament in 1845 at the time of the enclosures so they have charitable status) and we launched a vigorous campaign to prevent the sale. We won and both sites are now 100% rented.)

Very gratifying to see the fantastic work people have done on bramble-covered overgrown plots.
Good luck with your plot - I am sure you will enjoy it.
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 08:09 »
The council has an obligation to consider providing allotments and powers to acquire, but that's not really very strong obligation.  Have to keep fighting. 
We're lucky - last year the parish council responded to the waiting list with an area for 12 plots, really nothing they wanted to do with it so it was a small money maker.  These were popular so with a waiting list built up again and the horses moved off the council field, they created another 30 plots.  6 still waiting for owners.  We also have a large private allotment area.  Not bad for a village. 

Oliver

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 12:39 »
they created another 30 plots.  6 still waiting for owners.  We also have a large private allotment area.  Not bad for a village. 
Keep up the good fight
Oliver

Oliver

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 12:49 »
Fence round the corn, lion poo sprinkled around important things, and sprayed some unfenced corn with 'grazers'. Jackanoodle stuffed with human hair. (Pigeons not phased by any of this it appears, but they have not eaten my cauliflowers ...)
edit 18 June - Just got back from 2 and a half weeks in the USA - HOT and HUMID (33-37° and 98% humidity) Georgia and S Carolina. Back here weeds on the plot have been having a whale of a time while my back has been turned - they are 2 ft high in places. Everything else still growing well. Lettuces fantastic!
BUT no sign of the muntjac, so either my precautions worked or someone has eaten it, or it has moved on to better things. The latter I hope.
Oliver
dog2.JPG
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 13:45 by Oliver »

muntjac

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 15:28 »
get help collecting old  bean type tins paint em with the kids in any colour thats loud ..... then suspend by drilling a small hole in iether side .....fill with a trio of marbles .. tie baler twine through each hole with tins about 2ft apart ..... tie string to posts about 2ft from the ground around affected area .tins should be about 2ft apart.... i come along bump into string .tins make a ratte noise ... i * off with my tail in the air ........ : :wacko:///// werks for me  :tongue2:
still alive /............

tode

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 16:21 »
Quote Richard:
"... human urine will repel some animals. Long shot perhaps"

The mind boggles

noshed

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 16:36 »
Depends how far away the animal is really
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 20:38 »
can't you make friends with the muntjac?

agapanthus

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 21:07 »
get help collecting old  bean type tins paint em with the kids in any colour thats loud ..... then suspend by drilling a small hole in iether side .....fill with a trio of marbles .. tie baler twine through each hole with tins about 2ft apart ..... tie string to posts about 2ft from the ground around affected area .tins should be about 2ft apart.... i come along bump into string .tins make a ratte noise ... i * off with my tail in the air ........ : :wacko:///// werks for me  :tongue2:

Huh!!!!! Listen to him....have roe deer grazing on the veggie patch as we speak!!!! :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

clip
Something's Invaded My Sprouts and Purple Sprouting!

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 20:49
by Floody
xx
Muntjac is a novice

Started by James on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2006, 22:33
by muntjac
xx
new topic/ just ask muntjac

Started by king cauli on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 16, 2007, 13:47
by muntjac
xx
anoter tasty tip from muntjac

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 21:55
by bramble

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 41 queries.