Incubating

• 4 Replies

kegs

Incubating
« on: July 23, 2011, 17:13 »
I put 21 eggs in the incubator on 14th July (3 Buff Sussex, 3 Speckled Sussex, 3 Faverolles and 12 Hubbards) and have been candling them much too often.  ::)  (I know, but the suspense is killing me!)

I checked them again today and decided that 5 had to be taken out.    As I want to learn from any mistakes I make, with shaking hands, I cracked all 5 eggs and luckily I was right.  Nothing in any of them.  I've decided that this incubating lark is soooo stressful.
So 16 left..... watch this space.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Incubating
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 17:57 »
It is very stressful Kerry, but try not to candle too often,  it can create too many fluctuations in temp etc and you may lost them all!

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 19:09 »
Well here's hoping for a good hatching  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

kegs

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 13:15 »
Here's an update. 

It's day 14 and there were two more eggs that I'd kept to one side as the veins had disappeared and they didn't appear to be moving.  I'm still finding candling quite difficult but I decided to take these two out and crack them.  Whereas the first 5 eggs when cracked looked just like a normal cracked egg, these two had clearly started to take form.  One had only got as far as forming the eye before it died but the second had got a lot further.  I know it wasn't one of the Hubbards so unfortunately it was either the Buff, Speckled Sussex or Faverolle (my son's favourite).  Such a shame.

P1020659x.JPG
P1020660x.JPG

kegs

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:28 »
Day 20 - There are 14 eggs still in the Incubator.  Two days ago I added another j-cloth in the water trough along with warm water and with a bit of fiddling finally managed to get the humidity to stabilise at 60%.  Some time today 2 of the eggs (both Hubbards) have got a crack in them. Yippee.  Nothing else is happening at the moment and I can't stand it - I didn't realise it would take so long !!  :)

xx
incubating eggs ?

Started by gemmamccurdy on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 19:28
by gemmamccurdy
xx
Artificial vs natural incubating and brooding

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 09:28
by Nails

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 38 queries.