mandarin ducks

• 2 Replies

Rita

mandarin ducks
« on: June 19, 2010, 20:41 »
hi i have just joined this forum and was wondering if anyone kept mandarin ducks, i am thinking of getting some next month and wanted some more information on how to keep them, if anyone has kept mandarin who could give me some advice that would be really helpful, also i have chickens could they all live together they would have there own house to live in.

spottymint

Re: mandarin ducks
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 20:45 »
Hi

Kept Mandarins as a kid.

They lived with my bantams, however if you want to breed them, then best to house them seperatly, so the female isn't disturbed on the nest. Can run out with the chooks.

They don't quack, they whistle & in eclipse plumage, both male & female look alike. The male will have orange feet, the female brown or yellow ?

They like a pool, will need one for breeding, any ducklings will need pinoning as they are good flyers, being tree dwelling ducks in the wild.

In the wild they brred in tree holes, but a nest box supplied with something like hay will be fine.

They make great pets, bit nervous sometimes, but hardy little ducks. Small white eggs as I remember.

Hope this may help.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 20:52 by spottymint »

8doubles

Re: mandarin ducks
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 21:06 »
Do you still need to add oranges ? :)

I`ll just get my coat,

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.