home grown beetroot tastes so good!

• 23 Replies

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
Re: home grown beetroot tastes so good!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 14:42 »
hello i have loads of beetroot and have only had the shop brought stuff!!! i cook every year for staff at a beer fest and was going to use some upfor them so will do what you did and then they can have it with the cold buffet at night do you put the garlic and rosemary in the jars too did you put any sugar or other spices in??

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 14:56 »
I have managed to convert a fair number of children to be beetroot lovers at school, as ours have been such a success  :D

Nothing fancy, just boiled and skinned  :tongue2:-- terrific stuff  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 15:14 »
has anyone grown the white or yellow beetroot ?

Jazz :)
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 15:20 »
has anyone grown the white or yellow beetroot ?

Jazz :)

Grew golden ones (Burpees Golden) last year and they were terrific roasted at Christmas  :D Sowed some ten days ago: they are up and growing away well  :)

Veggie Virgin

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 20:46 »
Apparently you can also freeze beetroot.  Cook it, cool it, leave it whole and freeze it.  OK for three months.

I have my beetroot hot, cold, pickled, souped and baked.  The latest is some beetroot and pear chutney, which I sampled at Wisley earlier this month.  Decided to have a go myself.  Found a recipe for beetroot chutney, which used 4lb of beetroot, so I used 2lb of beetroot and 2lb of pears.  Will be ready to eat at the beginning of November....   Apart from Wodan, I also grew chiagga (the pink/white one) and some golden burpees.  As pretty as they look (and all taste like beetroot!), I still prefer the standard dark red ones.  The golden ones never got beyond the size of a giant marble!

catllar

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 13:26 »
I love beetroot but hate vinegar so after roasting them I tried covering them up with olive oil and garlic. Works a treat and without the vinegar I get just the beetroot flavour - yum. I don't know how long they will store like this but thus far I've eaten them up PDQ so its not been as issue.

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 15:36 »
hello i tried this last night and it is so nice i also put some spices into the vinegar black pepper corns mustard seeds mixed spice and it is so nice i have made one huge jar and 2 smaller ones might make some more tonight or some chutney

Elcie

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 16:20 »
I'm hoping to have enough beetroot to be able to try pickling it, if I can stop eating it and save enough for it!

What vinegar would I use?  You can tell I'm new to this!  Oh, and would I have to boil the vinegar first?

Thanks!

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 16:32 »
My beetroot quickly got to the size of bowling balls..... I had planted one 20' row from seed sown in cells.

Had I stopped to consider - I would have been better to stagger the planting out. Fortunately, despite their enormous size, they are delicious - not at all woody and cook relatively quickly.

I've planted out a 2nd and third batch for later in the year. I'm hoping some will still be tasty just before Christmas!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 36 queries.