Polytunnel lessons learned

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Polytunnel lessons learned
« on: October 22, 2011, 22:07 »
It's my first year of ownership and lessons learned are:
  • Build raised beds before erecting tunnel.

Allow more spacing between plants than in open ground to allow for more vigorous growth.

Three melon plants in a 7 metre polytunnel are enough

Paths around the insides edge of the tunnel need to be at least a metre wide.

Don't leave unattended with doors open, rabbits will take advantage

Use perforated weed prevention membrane for paths rather than plastic sheet so water can drain away

Gandan57

Re: Polytunnel lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 23:36 »
Have you forgotten one Alan?

A 7 metre polytunnel is not big enough.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:38 »
Could be right there Gandan. Trouble is that it's such a perfect growing environment that I  tended to put stuff in there that could grow perfectly well, if a little slower, out in the open. It was certainly brilliant for getting stuff like sweetcorn, celery and celeriac to maturity quickly

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:50 »
The other lesson I've learned is that repetition and reputation are two different things. I'd already posted almost identical comments about lessons learned in another thread on here :wub:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 22:33 »
When you talk about paths around the 'inside edge' of the tunnel, do you mean you have paths running round the outside of your beds as well as down the centre? And why do they need to be a metre wide? Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm currently working out the layout of my tunnel so I'm trying to learn from your lessons learned :)

stompy

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 07:59 »
Willl you be posting any pictures of your build shokkyy?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 20:18 »
The paths along the outer long edges of the tunnel need to be quite wide as otherwise the curvature of the sides means that you can only crouch in them. The minimum usable width in my tunnel is about 1 metre. I started out with them just about half a metre wide and they were unusable.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 21:11 »
The paths along the outer long edges of the tunnel need to be quite wide as otherwise the curvature of the sides means that you can only crouch in them. The minimum usable width in my tunnel is about 1 metre. I started out with them just about half a metre wide and they were unusable.

Oh, see what you mean. Then your tunnel must be a lot bigger than mine. Mine's only 6m x 3m, so I was thinking of having a central path with a bed on each side of about 1.2m x 5m, give or take. I'm not a big person so I reckon I can squirm down a 0.6m central path ok, width of a paving slab.

I'm leaving the 1m gap at one end because I've got a good 6 foot staging bench which I'm going to put there (door only at one end). It's two levels high, so should give me room for both working and holding plants in trays/pots. I'm thinking of putting the climbing stuff like toms and cukes along the back of the beds, trained up strings to the roof poles, which will give me room for smaller stuff in front. I've ordered a copy of How to Grow Food in your Polytunnel, and I'm sure that will give me some ideas too.

Willl you be posting any pictures of your build shokkyy?

Cheapie tunnel's already up, with a few tom and chilli plants in pots bunged in there to get them out of the weather. I've now got to do the raised beds, and right now I'm trying to find a good source for some scaffold boards in the area. I'll have to buy in some decent topsoil because the soil underneath is heavily compacted grass with quite a lot of stones in it, because an old boiler house used to stand on the spot. Given how bad it is, not quite sure how deep to make the beds. When I get it done, I'll post some piccies.

Anyone know a good source of cheapie scaffold boards in the Swindon area?

xx
new polytunnel what veg?

Started by erp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 13:14
by arugula
xx
polytunnel

Started by kitch on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 00:14
by muntjac
xx
Polytunnel

Started by Bridgend Jon on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 20:34
by Poolfield2
xx
polytunnel

Started by thecakebaker on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 17:28
by zopadooper

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 29 queries.