....as well as layers pellets?

• 19 Replies

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« on: August 03, 2007, 19:22 »
Ok I have read all the books - and they all say slightly different things! Suprise suprise!
 :?  
We are feeding "Small Holder Natural Free Range Layers Pellets" and  scattering of corn for them to forage for during the day. We have also been offering greens for them but so far they only seem to like the bits of grass that come with the weeds!
Broccoli - nah!
Hispi cabbage outer leaves - Nah!
Chickweed - Nah!
Nettles - Nah!
Apple - Nah!
So - without going out to MacDonald for a cheeseburger for them - what do you suggest?
We have only had them a week so maybe they are just getting used to a variety of goodies and will tuck in later??? But so far its just the corn and pellets that "ring their chimes" :roll:
Kathy H

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 19:40 »
dump the layers pellets its just processed seed anyways . get ur wheat or barley .crushed or whole maize and feed that with any lettuce  chickweed or any weeds ,( check for deadly nightshade ) they wil eat greens of all sorts when they feel like it ., good oestra oyster shell and thats all ya need . check my posts for chckens and you cant go wrong ..but then i have been at it awhile  :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 19:51 »
Munty's been at it a loooonnng while so he really knows chickens inside out and the right way out too.

I've only kept chickens for two years and feed them on layers pellets ad lib and mixed corn before bed time.  Greens are very good for them and should be offered every day.  It takes young hens a while to learn what is good to eat and which leaves are OK.  So they will only eat a tiny amount of anything new until they know it will not make them feel ill.  

Keep any treats to a minimum and only give LATE in the day.  Chooks gotta eat their dinner rather than fill up on junk food.

purplebat

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 23:03 »
mine loooove spinach  :lol:
quick question from me too, can chooks eat dock leaves 'cos I've got zillions of 'em  :?:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 06:07 »
havent noticed batty as they dont get chance to come up lolo.
a good bed of perp!!! erperpt!!! oh sod it long lasting spinach sown now will last all winter if ya sopw a good amount loike wot i does  :wink:

purplebat

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 10:58 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
a good bed of perp!!! erperpt!!! oh sod it long lasting spinach sown now will last all winter if ya sopw a good amount loike wot i does  :wink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I know what you mean Munty, how much would be a good amount? I've got 12 hens now

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 11:54 »
15 yds by 1 yd should see ya cropping it ok. about 4 packs seed

purplebat

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 17:38 »
cheers for that Munty; so, basically about 4 times more than what I've put in  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 18:49 »
Well this evening the "ladies" have decided that they like nettles! There was a medium sized clump in the corner of their run and we noticed them pecking at them yesterday and today they have demolished them. I put a couple more in just now and they were enthusiastically pecked at  :D

I think you are right Aunt Sally about them trying something a bit first and waiting to see how it settles.
Hmmm - I would have avoided many upset tums in the past  if I had been that sensible! :oops:

I also gave thenm a teeny bit of leftover cooked potato (cooked without salt) and they seemed quite keen. So maybe by tomorrow that will have entered their list of likes!
I won't overdo the extras just yet but I want to introduce a few bits of greens while they are young and impressionable!

Gloria

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 22:24 »
Chop things up small Kathy. I've found that mine will reject the same kind of stuff yours reject, but when I cut it up smallish they'll give it a try. :? and even demolish the lot :wink:

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 22:46 »
Thanks Gloria - I will try that  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 22:50 »
Funnily enough mine don't like nettles, but they do love dock leaves purple! And comfrey, and most things.  But they leave nettles alone and seem to know that ragwort isn't good for them.  So if a bit does grow in the run, they don't touch it.

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 23:19 »
We have lots of dock so will try that - thanks.
We also have the world's supply of Alkanet - part of the borage family. Its a horrible weed and although the blue flowers are pretty in the hedgerows its a real pain to try to get out of the garden (we don't do chemicals just manpower!)
Does anyone know if its ok for chickens? Some books say its edible and some don't say. Its a dye plant but most borage plants are edible. It looks like this -
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/alkanet.htm
this link says its edible - as I say that seems to vary. It would be lovely if they would eat it.
 I would love to find a good reason for Alkanet's existance (apart from dying Roman togas a deep orange!)  :lol:

purplebat

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 15:26 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
but they do love dock leaves purple!

apparently they're not dock leaves  :oops:  they're horse radish!!! but they are absolutely everywhere and the roots are like blooming trees  :!:  will they still be ok for the chooks?

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 15:33 »
if the chooks are eating em they ar alright ,, they know best,they taste a plant first  :wink:

xx
Layers pellets or other?

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 16:04
by Brambles
xx
Layers pellets

Started by Fredjones on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 24, 2009, 09:09
by joyfull
xx
layers pellets

Started by leveya on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 23:30
by Lindeggs
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 00:20
by Caralou

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 39 queries.