Ginger beer

• 76 Replies

bearhugger1972

• my blog
Ginger beer
« on: January 13, 2012, 17:32 »
Just made my first brew from 'scratch' using this recipe from http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/recipes-ginger-beer
I have to say it's an absolute corker and has a good kick both in the ginger and alcohol department. Got about 35 bottles and it's quite hard to leave them in the garage where i have got them stored in a couple of crates.

edit because the link here doesn't work - try this the new one

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/ginger-beer

[a different recipe here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5982 ]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 13:46 by mumofstig »
Work is for those who don't know how to garden

Auntiemogs

Re: Ginger beer
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 21:30 »
Wow! Thank you Bearhugger, I love ginger beer and the alcohol will be a bonus! I shall be off to the farm shop on Sunday for my ginger!  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

bearhugger1972

• my blog
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 17:57 »
You're welcome. It's a really good recipe even for a novice such as myself. I only used 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to prime the bottles and wish i had a full teaspoon instead. 

grendel

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 18:27 »
beware the exploding bottles, my last batch one bottle exploded and took 3 others (not to mention the mess) I advise old towels over the bottles.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 18:38 »
beware the exploding bottles, my last batch one bottle exploded and took 3 others (not to mention the mess) I advise old towels over the bottles.
Grendel
Ooh  :ohmy:, thank you Grendel. Maybe a pressure barrel would be safer.....

grendel

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 23:56 »
I used a plastic box with a towel over the top, and a metal bread bin for more mature bottles.
Grendel

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 17:13 »
Tempting, will have to put it on my to do list.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:38 »
Let the frementation commence!  :tongue2:

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 17:00 »
Let the frementation commence!  :tongue2:

Any exploding bottles yet Aunitemogs ?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 19:06 »
Let the frementation commence!  :tongue2:

Any exploding bottles yet Aunitemogs ?
Just this evening strained it off lardman. I did have a wee sample and it tasted delish!  :tongue2:
A few more days and then I shall transfer it to a pressure barrel and some empty lemonade bottles for its second ferment. Taking no chances here (don't want to waste any)!  :D
So glad I invested in an extra barrel now. Woodfordes Wherry going on next week.  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 19:10 by Auntiemogs »

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 19:27 »
Did you measure the sg? 110g/l of sugar seemed really high from a drinking point. Although its been over 2 decades since I did any homebrew stuff but I don't remember it being that high.

I would love to drop this as low as possible but still end up with around 4% abv adjusting sweetness at bottling/priming time.

Im still waiting for my culture to mature  :(

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 19:38 »
Did you measure the sg? 110g/l of sugar seemed really high from a drinking point. Although its been over 2 decades since I did any homebrew stuff but I don't remember it being that high.

I would love to drop this as low as possible but still end up with around 4% abv adjusting sweetness at bottling/priming time.

Im still waiting for my culture to mature  :(
I forgot to measure it but thanks for the reminder.  :) I shall take a reading in a few days and post it on here although I'm a newbie when it comes to this so not very good at reading the thingummy.  :wacko:
I'll bung in the amount of sugar from the instructions for the second ferment and keep my fingers crossed but is there a way of controlling the sweetness of the finished product?
Are you making a ginger beer plant?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 19:39 by Auntiemogs »

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 19:54 »
I think we'd need to ask someone who actually knows what they're doing about fermenting it out dry or perhaps changing the yeast to one that denatures at a lower ABV %.

I had one of those ebay kits (which turned out to be little more than brewers yeast / ginger powder / sugar).  Im keeping my eye on the proper one but Im not paying silly money for a science experiment.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 20:16 »
I think we'd need to ask someone who actually knows what they're doing about fermenting it out dry or perhaps changing the yeast to one that denatures at a lower ABV %.

I had one of those ebay kits (which turned out to be little more than brewers yeast / ginger powder / sugar).  Im keeping my eye on the proper one but Im not paying silly money for a science experiment.
I found another recipe for GB in an old (1973) book and that too has 1lb sugar per gallon so I suppose it must be ok... I can't find my usual brewing book but from looking at this old one I should have taken a SG reading at the start in order to be able to work out the ABV. Guess I'll just have to do the 'falling down test'.  :D
It also contains a recipe for a GB plant (sorry)  ::) but that too is only bakers yeast, water, sugar and powdered ginger. Is this not the way they all start out or is there some special yeast to start them and is it supposed to taste better?

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 08:25 »
just had a look at my hydrometer and the conversion scales that came with it and 110g/l converted into ounces per gallon is 17.8oz/g which according to the potential alchol chart   fermented to dry would give a little over 6.5% abv provideing all the sugar is fermented out before primeing and bottleing then there should be no chance of explodeing bottles

xx
ginger beer

Started by flowergirl on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 23:39
by Annie
xx
Ginger beer

Started by littlewitch on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 07:51
by willowman
xx
Ginger Beer

Started by pulse on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 09:33
by zazen999
xx
real ginger beer

Started by phil/anne on Homebrew

20 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 14:15
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.