runner bean seed.

• 3 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
runner bean seed.
« on: November 16, 2010, 07:12 »
hi everyone.can someone help me?.i had a great crop of runners this year and ive left a fair few on the plants for seed next year,but they seem to be taking ages to go brown ,i cut the stems weeks ago but there all still green.can i take them off and dry them off in the house? or are they still soaking up goodness from the plant ? will the frost get to them?am i panicking unecessaryily? advice would be appreciated. :unsure:

compostqueen

Re: runner bean seed.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:19 »
I am drying borlottis in the house at the moment, the last of the stragglers. They dry well in the house as long as it's not the kitchen or bathroom

Mine are in a basket in the conservatory. Once dried they can be put in a paper bag in a dark drawer

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:17 »
They won't mature any further outdoors now (having chopped the stems weeks ago presumably they are now dead?)

Bring them indoors, dry and store as CQ suggests, rejecting any which are damaged or noticeably smaller than the others.

Also be aware that although self-fertile they need insects (usually bees) to "trip" pollination which makes them open to cross-pollination with other runner beans; this will almost certainly have happened if you were growing two or more varieties together but is also quite likely if there were other varieties being grown elsewhere in your area.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:58 »
thanks for the advice guys,i"ll bring em on in. :)

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
Saving runner bean seed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 00:47
by Paul Plots
xx
White Lady runner bean seed rot.

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 18:10
by JohnB47
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 39 queries.