Feel like giving up!!

• 28 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Feel like giving up!!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 23:45 »
For those with pigeon problems, I will swap you my problem. :lol: :lol:

Thank heavens it can't fly! Imagine that over the washing-line  :tongue2:  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 04:16 »
Don't know why but that pic instantly made me think of the old song there'll be pennies from heaven for you and me.  :lol:

kittenkirst

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 06:55 »
Love the pic!! Don't give up, it will all be worth it in the end, just enjoy the peace and quiet and being outdoors :)
One quick q- what do you use for mulching? Is it straw thats wetted down, how do you prevent it blowing away? sorry still a newbie (got plot end March) x

Christine

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 07:25 »
Listened to the news lying in bed this morning and there's the threat of a hosepipe ban next week in the North West unless they have significant rain this week.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 07:27 »
Listened to the news lying in bed this morning and there's the threat of a hosepipe ban next week in the North West unless they have significant rain this week.

I was only joking last night with a neighbour over the back fence, saying thats it ten days of sun and the hoses will be next  ::)

Livinhope

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 11:07 »
After battling with pigeons, rabbits and all else that ate everything I now can't get things to grow because the lack of water. I have used all my water and the ground gets so dry even after a few days rain. Everything is so stunted. Potatoes have been in since 28th Feb and still really small plants let alone a flower. Onions are spindly, Runner beans are not doing anything at all. Sweetcorn is ok but all else has just bolted even before they have matured. Grrrr!!!!

We've all had problem this year as a browse through past posts will tell you.  When we took our plot on it was a disaster, we could have given up there and then.  What I did was to go home and sit and plan what I wanted to grow, order the seeds, then with a large sheet of paper, pencil and rubber[/b, sat down and planned what I would put where.  I've kept, mostly, with a few small changes, to that plan and instead of a large area, that seems impossible you are only concentrating on the next set of seed or plants to go in.  It works for me :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:09 by Livinhope »

DavidT

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 19:18 »
Learner, have you never seen a Horsefly? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Togalosh

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 20:55 »
You have my sympathies...without our water supply my plot would be  barren. A plot without a water supply is like a F1 race track without tarmac.

We do a good few 200lr butt refills a week. I'm not sure I'd bother if I couldn't water at will. Saying that seems to be wastful but we don't soak the place & only water when required - our clay soil is fairly good for retaining moister.

I'd make big water collecting plans if that's what it took as my time on the plot is too good to miss out on. There are sites selling ex industrial food containers (e.g 1000ltr tank for £125 & 200ltr for £7 ish). ..because space is at a primium I'd bury 2 1000ltr ones under my greenhouse/shed & fit hand pumps.

Mind you the mulching advice given earlier is sound - I hadly water my strawberries & they are lush - but the straw harbours the blooming slugs.

zazen999 - what do you use to mulch & where do you get so much of it from?

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 00:02 »
Learner, have you never seen a Horsefly? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only housefly  ::)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 00:59 »
Not sure if this will help but i tracked down recycled council waste into compost for £160/20tonne and we shared it out!!  Great as a mulch and soil improver but a bit coarse and rich for seed growth. Far cheaper than the diy stores!!!

kel28

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 22:32 »
That picture of the horse did give me a laugh, cheeky mere literally! Dont give up yet as everyone has said enjoy the peace and quiet. This year alot of people have said their potaoes and cabbages have amounted to nothing on our site and we have water tanks the council fitted with a constant supply of fresh water so it may not be the lack of water, but more the weather going into and out of summer time. I always find 1 yr something will do really well and something else just fails the following year they swap this yr its my garlics turn to not do anything worth talking about!
kem

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 01:18 »
That picture of the horse did give me a laugh, cheeky mere literally! Dont give up yet as everyone has said enjoy the peace and quiet. This year alot of people have said their potaoes and cabbages have amounted to nothing on our site and we have water tanks the council fitted with a constant supply of fresh water so it may not be the lack of water, but more the weather going into and out of summer time. I always find 1 yr something will do really well and something else just fails the following year they swap this yr its my garlics turn to not do anything worth talking about!

Autumn sown Jap Onion sets  :( ............ can't win them all  ;)

Babstreefern

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 10:16 »
Me and my neighbour on the allotment share a 50 gallon water tank, and have gutters running from my shed and his very large cloche (as big as a greenhouse) :D.  We also have the blue containers.  We only water in the seedlings, like everyone else, the stuff that's been in since early Spring and established, can fend for themselves :).  But for those with raised beds, bear in mind that when it rains or you water, the water drains further down, as the plants, give or take, are a foot above the ground level, and its also been been dug, so the water won't hold for long before its passed by the veg/flower roots. :ohmy:
Babs

Onei

• Gardening Tools for Children
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 13:38 »
Mulch is definitely a great idea it really does work, keep at it there are always ups and downs. One year I had masses of lovely tomatoes but they were pretty tasteless, I would have much preferred a smaller crop with some taste.

xx
crying and feel like giving up!!!

Started by crazy-potting-lady on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 13:50
by mark.carline
xx
Feel like packing it all in and giving up.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 23:09
by cooperman
xx
I feel very far behind!

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:43
by yorkiegal
xx
Feel a bit naive...

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 22:54
by BobE

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 34 queries.