Feel like giving up!!

• 28 Replies

steve56616

Feel like giving up!!
« on: June 23, 2010, 15:52 »
After battling with pigeons, rabbits and all else that ate everything I now can't get things to grow because the lack of water. I have used all my water and the ground gets so dry even after a few days rain. Everything is so stunted. Potatoes have been in since 28th Feb and still really small plants let alone a flower. Onions are spindly, Runner beans are not doing anything at all. Sweetcorn is ok but all else has just bolted even before they have matured. Grrrr!!!!

Paul Plots

Re: Feel like giving up!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 15:59 »
If I was you - I'd take a flask of tea or coffee and simply sit and enjoy the peace on the plot. Take a break.  ;)

Most people have an allotment plot (I guess that's what you have) as a hobby - so don't be dispondent despondant cheesed off.... things will grow gradually...

Is there no water supply at all nearby? How about one of those camping water tanks and a light set of wheels - might that help?  ???

If you have a shed add a bit of guttering and an old bath...
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 16:14 »
I agree take a flask and enjoy the plot  :) last year I managed to grow 3 edible onions this year I have managed a big bowl full and am planning to grow from seed next year, I only had 1 edible parsnip and carrots were a definate no grow !! The birds ate all the brassicas over the winter and many other disasters but hey ho tis all a learning curve and my opinion is if you only grow 1 it is 1 less to buy and I am sure you will have some small successes......

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 16:20 »
We are all in the same boat. Although I have a small plot at home, I can't justify leaving a sprinkler on all day....never mind that I'm on a meter and have no permission for my outside tap......so I have stunted beans, none-existant beetroot (never failed before!), just pulled my peas up cos if they do grow a bit something chomps them, chard bolted. The only things doing well are broad beans, herbs and weeds! The pots are doing ok too, they benefit from watering, doesn't evaporate off like the open plot.

You are not alone!

rem858

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 18:06 »
its the same for most of the country at the moment
 i have been up at  1st light (4.00am )most mornings for weeks and still watering at dusk it will all be worth it in the end
 if nothing else i have  enjoyed the sunrise and sunset most days fantastic  SOMETHING YOU CANT BUY OFF A SHELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 18:13 »
yep keep at it my carrots have green leaves 2 foot high i thought happy days dug some up for a salad and they had carrots like a fleas wing :ohmy:

so keep at it also just to make you feel somewhat better  my mains are flowering and when i dug up my first earlies the pots on them were like a badgers paw

so all in all wer are rowing in the same boat so keep at cos i am   :lol:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 20:19 by Trillium »

steve56616

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 18:34 »
Well if nothing else I have laughed at the previous comments  :lol:
To answer some of the questions. Yes it is my allotment plot (new) and I have built a type of shed with a roof that collect plenty of rain when it does rain. It just doesn't last very long so only try to use what I have on new seedlings etc. Funny how the weeds still manage, coz they keep coming and coming!!

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 18:48 »
half the battle is won cos your laughing

now all we need for you is a decent water container

and some watering tips that the old hands might have

steve56616

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 19:00 »
I have two of those big blue drums. Only ever managed to get one filled, then it doesn't take long to empty again then I'm back to square one :-(.
Must admit, I love being there and spend as much time as I can but it is disappointing when you see all your hard work not amounting to very much.

SG6

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 19:24 »
I have a fairly thin layer of mulch material over my veg plot and it prevents the ground drying out quite amazingly. The mulch itself goes dry but the ground remains OK.

Another thing is you don't need to soak the allotment with every drop of water there is. I have one water butt and manage quite OK with that, neighbour has 3 and a smaller area for veg but somehow manages to use his store of water up before I do mine.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 20:24 »
Don't forget the weather has been odd over winter & spring. We had the wettest & coldest winter in years, and Feb March & April were unusually dry.

zazen999

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 20:42 »
We only water in seedlings, after that they are left to their own devices. We've not actually run out of water from the water butt yet. If we did we'd be stuffed as we don't have access to any other.

We mulch, mulch, mulch; and it pays dividends.

Bearing in mind our soil is clay, and not every topsoil - it's subsoil  :ohmy: which means if it isn't mulched it can go rock hard in the sun. So, we mulch. And smile at the guys who water and water and water every day.

steve56616

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 20:47 »
I have mulched the runner beans, peas, strawberries and various others but to be honest it is still dry underneath. My soil is pretty good, not clay... well when damp it's good!!!

crazypeanut

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 21:05 »
Steve,
Just seen your post and feel the same way - I thought my new raise beds would give me a great yield this season. No Chance. Everything looks weedy and my Pak Choy was great until the pigeons tucked in!

BUT - I will keep going because I love pottering about as work sucks the life out of me.

At least this year my blueberries look good (covered in a net) and I have had a handful of strawberries. Last year the birds ate them and I had no clue. So again a little net fixed that.

I don't have an allotment but a nice little patch in the back garden so I'm lucky to have water - but still frustrated over spindly salad leaves and dangly 3 inch beetroot.

Keep Going.

Linda

DavidT

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 22:13 »
For those with pigeon problems, I will swap you my problem. :lol: :lol:

xx
Feel like packing it all in and giving up.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 23:09
by cooperman
xx
crying and feel like giving up!!!

Started by crazy-potting-lady on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 13:50
by mark.carline
xx
I feel very far behind!

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:43
by yorkiegal
xx
Feel a bit naive...

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 22:54
by BobE

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 34 queries.