Feel like packing it all in and giving up.

• 35 Replies

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 09:01 »
whatever happened to the innocent games like "knock and run" to upset the oldies.  :roll:

so sorry this has happened  :cry:

Scribbler

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 10:50 »
The idea of going to the police sounds good, as they will (eventually) have to take notice if the crime figures go up. Get other people to do the same. Personally I'd go down to the plot on spec after dark a few of times and maybe try and catch them at it, or get a vehicle registration. But wouldn't recommend this to an older person. On second thoughts, I AM an older person now...

Also, if money is tight, you could do temporary repairs using polythene sheeting perhaps?
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

yummy

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 12:21 »
That used to happen on our plot. They broke in late 2006 and burnt down the allotment shop that was housed within an old railway carriage. The committee then spent 4k on metal fencing to keep them out. It seems to have done the trick so far.
Good luck getting something done.

Clampit

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 17:47 »
I have to admit this sort of thing has put me off getting a greenhouse on the allotment, I just 'make do' with a mini-greenhouse in the back yard and plant a lot of things direct into the soil. It's a shame, as I would like to grow tomatoes, chili's, peppers, aubergenes and melons but have no practical way of doing so.
I was also very keen on keeping some chickens, but again, the vandalism aspect has put me off :(  No free range eggs for me. :(

mumsy

Re: Feel like packing it all in and giving up.
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 18:23 »
Quote from: "fatbelly"

I am on a budget and can't afford to replace the glass and right now I feel like giving up and calling it a day. .

I am really sorry this has happened to you.  We replaced the glass in  our
green house with perspex, it was so much cheaper & flexible for the curved ones....
Don't give up...........your rewards will greater than the way you feel now.

Sir Growalot

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 19:09 »
I agree, I am a serving Community Bobby in Cheshire and would be happy to take on these yobs on my patch the only problem is the public don't report the crimes as John suggests, so the police and pcso's aren't aware of the scale of the problem.
A letter to the head of the local community police depatment outlining the problem will help, as will an article in the local press.

Good luck
A single moment of understanding can flood a whole life with meaning.

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 20:57 »
Quote from: "Sir Growalot"
I agree, I am a serving Community Bobby in Cheshire and would be happy to take on these yobs on my patch the only problem is the public don't report the crimes as John suggests, so the police and pcso's aren't aware of the scale of the problem.
A letter to the head of the local community police depatment outlining the problem will help, as will an article in the local press.

Good luck

I agree with Sir Growalot, every incident needs to be reported to the police so they can be appraised of the true nature of crimes in your area.

I also work for the police and used to manage a local team of community officers who had responsibility for a large allotment area. After a number of reports we sent out local patrols and took part in some covert work that eventually led to the culprits being caught.

If they don't know then they won't do anything about it. If a crime is reported and continues to occur you will get "repeat victim" status. This means that the local police management MUST take positive action to resolve the issue.

If you had your front window smashed by yobs you would report it so there should be no exceptions to any minor crime.

Get in touch with you local Neighbourhood Policing Team and discuss the problems you are having with them.

Don't suffer in silence and best of luck :)

Oh and John the authorities do care, I didn't join this job to watch people suffer.....

Oh and I remember knock and run, harmless fun but daring!!
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

Dominic

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 21:12 »
Give up the greenhouse?

Maybe you'll have more luck with your local police, but with mine its an effort to get a crime number after being shot at.

Not to be confrontational with our law enforcement members, it certainly isnt their fault, but if the police really do mount an operation, and you go to court as a witness against the thugs, they get told their very naughty and come back the next day to give your property special attention.

Or at least thats been my experience.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 21:41 »
Quote from: "WhippetMaster"

Oh and John the authorities do care, I didn't join this job to watch people suffer.....

I'm sure there are many caring individuals in the police but they're tied in by systems that render them ineffective or at least appearing ineffective to the public.

I've the greatest of respect for the police as a body but they're hardly backed by the judiciary who the petty crooks laugh at.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

weeeed

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 22:26 »
Hey FB, don't you give in there. You should see the damage they have done to mine over the last couple of years. They even picked all my strawberries and beans last year! Remember what goes around comes around. I've left my greenhouse on the floor. Mainly because I wouldn't know where to start to mend it but I now grow everything on at home then take down the established plants and hope for the best. Keep your chin up and remember     they wont always get away with it. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 06:14 »
The idea of going to the police sounds good, as they will (eventually) have to take notice if the crime figures go up. Get other people to do the same. Personally I'd go down to the plot on spec after dark a few of times and maybe try and catch them at it, or get a vehicle registration. But wouldn't recommend this to an older person. On second thoughts, I AM an older person now...

not too sure that is a good idea...tackling some of these yobs is a dangerous thing to do...... :cry:

go to the council, make your voice heard, go to the papers.
talk to the council about higher fencing or even cctv cameras about the place. these yobs cannot win !!!

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 07:46 »
Quote from: "john"
Quote from: "WhippetMaster"

I'm sure there are many caring individuals in the police but they're tied in by systems that render them ineffective or at least appearing ineffective to the public.

I've the greatest of respect for the police as a body but they're hardly backed by the judiciary who the petty crooks laugh at.

John,

Im sorry to say that I am inclined to agree with you. Most of us on the ground do try our best but are often let down by our own call takers/prceedures and coupled with the fact that sentencing by the courts has gone barmy we also feel that our job is becoming bogged down by paperwork and policies most of which is directly defined by the Goverment.

Saying that Iv'e just reached my 15th year this month and I still truely strive to do my best for my people both in and out of the job. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53 »
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

At least the forums getting well policed these days!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 09:16 »
Quote from: "DD."
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

I thought this was some kind of Italian cheese sauce until I googled it  :lol:

Fatbelly, If I lived closer I would come to yours and sit in the shed and wait....... :x

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Re: Feel like packing it all in and giving up.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 09:33 »
Quote from: "fatbelly"
About a month ago I posted about vandalism on our plot and how these vandals had systematically smashed panes of glass in peoples greenhouses including mine.

Well last night they returned with a vengeance and smashed nearly every pane of glass in my 8 x 6 greenhouse. Not just mine others as well, people without greenhosues suffered as well because they uprooted plants and broke into sheds.

I am on a budget and can't afford to replace the glass and right now I feel like giving up and calling it a day. So sad because I was on the waiting list for over two years and it took me 8 months of hard work to turn my plot form a jungle to a decent weed free space.

Your allotment should have insurance it might be worth asking the secratary it may only be third party but should pay for the glass.

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

xx
Feel like giving up!!

Started by steve56616 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 13:38
by Onei
xx
crying and feel like giving up!!!

Started by crazy-potting-lady on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 13:50
by mark.carline
xx
What to plant in some wooden packing crates

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 22:18
by AnneB
xx
I feel very far behind!

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:43
by yorkiegal

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 35 queries.