Feel like packing it all in and giving up.

• 35 Replies

fatbelly

« on: April 26, 2008, 17:43 »
About a month ago I posted about vandalism on our plot and how these vandals had systematically smashed panes of glass in peoples greenhouses including mine.

Well last night they returned with a vengeance and smashed nearly every pane of glass in my 8 x 6 greenhouse. Not just mine others as well, people without greenhosues suffered as well because they uprooted plants and broke into sheds.

I am on a budget and can't afford to replace the glass and right now I feel like giving up and calling it a day. So sad because I was on the waiting list for over two years and it took me 8 months of hard work to turn my plot form a jungle to a decent weed free space.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

wighty

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 17:45 »
ooh, Fatbelly, I feel for you, you can't let the * win though.  Don't give up please.

JimG

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 17:47 »
fatbelly, I could write something trite, like 'don't let 'em win.  Giving into them...., blah, blah, blah' but all I would say is take your time.  I'm sure you'd regret giving it up - I know I would and I know I'd be as fed up, disenchanted, angry and everything else that I don't doubt you are now.

Hope you've got a couple of mates to sit you down with a pint and think things over.  At times of stress I normally think that such people are like slinkies...., of no use whatsoever but the thought of pushing them downstairs always raises a smile.

Cheers,

Jim

gus

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 17:54 »
Thats awful  :shock: after all your hard work :!:  but don't give up or the vandals have won. Get onto your allotment site manager (at the town hall )and try to get some system in place to make it vandal proof. At our site we regularly had kids breaking greenhouse glass, breaking into sheds and once even setting fire to a shed, The council put up the hight of the fence and the troubles appear to be over. :D  So get shouting and remember that your rent is for a safe site and it's the councils duty to try to make it safe
computer illiterate, a one finger typist but doggedly determined to keep up with this new technology and use it to help me on my allotment.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 17:54 »
I agree with jim there
dont make any hasty decisions, and see what can be done about security on the plot, maybe a night watchman with a pellet gun :-)
Hope things improve soon fb, Im sorry this happened to you sir

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 18:14 »
And like Gud said get shouting at the people who run the site  :evil:

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 18:42 »
Aww I feel for you hun. I'm bracing myself for our sites first onslaught as the site was empty prior to this past 6 months intake due to same thing....just think about ways around it hun....glass - one hit n it's shattered...plastic? doesn't shatter...might split...tape cheaper for repairs?...i dunno hun....just think you'll regret giving it up that's all :) hugs

Alex 98

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 19:07 »
Don't give up :x
We had this problem a few years ago, peservere
If you give up , they win.
Stand firm
Stand tall
You are above them
Nature is above all of us
Be sure to maintain the hiarachy
 :)

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 20:08 »
I totally understand how you feel. They're thoughtless morons whose petty crimes are unimportant to the authorities but make life a misery for ordinary people.

I hope you don't give up, perhaps you could set the greenhouse up at home? Perhaps you and your fellow plotholders could get publicity and shame the police / council into some security or a camera? Perhaps even a neighbourhood watch / rota scheme.

What a shame that mantraps, pungi stakes and razor wire would be a violation of their human rights.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 20:15 »
Quote from: "john"
What a shame that mantraps, pungi stakes and razor wire would be a violation of their human rights.

How about rue, pyracantha and giant hogweed?  :twisted:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

bally

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 20:40 »
total pathetic morons who must lead such a sad life :evil:

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 20:46 »
Forget pyracantha n stuff...sleeping bag n a pepper spray plus acold night in a shed ;))....with mates n a bottle of two of vino collapso ;P...frighten them into sub ;))

Bombers

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 20:59 »
Scum Bags! :cry:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 21:09 »
we all suffer from slug damage and caterpillar damage and we just take it as one of those things, these morons are just another pest that we cant seem to get rid of :cry: but with good neighbouring plotholders you will get going again. :D failing that ... shoot the b...tards :lol:
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 07:19 »
Sorry you're having this many problems

Try this

All of you should report it individually to the police, make ysure you geta crime number cos it is a crime. This will force up the figures and when they go up the police have to take action as will the council youth nuisience department  Write to the council asking for increased security copy the latter to your local councillor and ask him/ her to raise it at a council meeting The elected councillors can and will mither the daylights out of the department and keep on at them till something is done

Basically every opportunity make a nuisence of yourselves attend local council forums and ask awkward questions write to the local paper invite them down  picture of the damage and a sympathetic article will help

Keep at them it will work in the end

Sorry if this sounds a bit of a rant we are getting similar issues on our site and the local councillors are taking action remember local elections soon
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

xx
Feel like giving up!!

Started by steve56616 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 13:38
by Onei
xx
crying and feel like giving up!!!

Started by crazy-potting-lady on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 13:50
by mark.carline
xx
What to plant in some wooden packing crates

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 22:18
by AnneB
xx
I feel very far behind!

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:43
by yorkiegal

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 35 queries.