Fox attack

• 13 Replies

lightyears

Fox attack
« on: February 25, 2012, 14:57 »
Somehow a fox got into my run and then the chicken shed last night or early this morning, weve lost 6 of our 10 chickens all of which were rescue hens. to make things worse only a couple still had there heads. My neighbour lost 30 of his pure breeds last friday night so we had fortified the area heavly agaist it. The 4 who are left, one is badly shaken and i think will not live out the night and is my house with me, the other 3 seem ok and are eating and drinking well, they have been locked inside there coop as tight as can be now for a few days to calm try and calm the area down. Im going down to there coop tomorrow morning before sunrise, armed and if i see it, i will shoot it.

Mrs Bee

Re: Fox attack
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 15:25 »
Somehow a fox got into my run and then the chicken shed last night or early this morning, weve lost 6 of our 10 chickens all of which were rescue hens. to make things worse only a couple still had there heads. My neighbour lost 30 of his pure breeds last friday night so we had fortified the area heavly agaist it. The 4 who are left, one is badly shaken and i think will not live out the night and is my house with me, the other 3 seem ok and are eating and drinking well, they have been locked inside there coop as tight as can be now for a few days to calm try and calm the area down. Im going down to there coop tomorrow morning before sunrise, armed and if i see it, i will shoot it.

Good luck!

lightyears

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 15:31 »
i must point out to the tree huggers amoungst us that shooting is not always the aswer and that weapon ownership and usage is governed by some serious laws all of which i abide to. My dad who has done this for years has set me up some snare traps(humanely if anyone is concerned) and we will dispatch it, if we catch it, with one quick,humane shot. More than it ever gave my chickens i might point out

edit, i might come acrossed as a bit bitter, but i am truly devestated about my chicken loss, hence the anger
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 15:34 by lightyears »

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 15:54 »
Its understandable how you feel it must be so heartbreaking, i dont condone shooting but if its done humanley then its ok i just dont agree with cruelty to any animal, but if you and your dad have got the experience then its unfortunate but its somthing that has to be done. alot of the problems these days is people who feed mr fox and then wonder why in some towns they are more common than wild birds, people think they are doing the right thing but they are slowley changing our wildlife. hope the chucks that are left fully recover  ::)
Chicken crazy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 16:13 »
people who feed foxes upset the balance of nature. When prey is plentiful it follows that there will be a rise in the predators but then they will eat most of the prey and therefore their numbers will drop through a lack of food. This is something I keep having to point out to my father in law who makes up dog food sandwiches everyday for his local fox family - 1 sandwich per fox  :mad:.
I am not a tree hugger and like Tony I also do not condone shooting (especially by untrained people and those who think a 22 rifle will suffice) however by a trained person with the correct equipment it is a different matter. I have had 2 mink attacks last year and welcomed the local shoot when they came to the farm next to us.
Staffies are softer than you think.

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 17:22 »
Really sorry to hear about the fox attack and the loss of your hens..Aden

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 17:24 »
How fox proof were you?  If you were fox proof how did the fox get in?
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Karhog

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 18:04 »
How awful.... sorry to hear you lost your chooks. Hope the survivors are ok

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 18:09 »
The OP has left the building.  Not sure why though, no one said anything untoward. :wacko:
Cheese makes everything better.

MrTwang

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 09:06 »
The OP has left the building.  Not sure why though, no one said anything untoward. :wacko:

I think he's oiling his shot gun ready for Mr Fox...

Thrift

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 09:33 »
Good luck lightyears. Fox numbers certainly need reducing and if it's done properly and humanely I have no problem with that.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 20:36 »
 :( very sorry to hear this has happened to your hens, I have only had my hens for a week but feel constantly worried about the threat of foxes, whilst i respect all animals i think i would feel exactly the same way in terms of dealing with this attack, i hope your other hens make it through ok, all the best

bood77

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 08:09 »
My heart goes out to you i may only be 16 but i know that when a fox gets your chooks it hurts 

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 09:23 »
If I caught one in my chicken run it would be extremely tempting to go and grab a shovel and give it a violent send off, but the only real solution is to make sure they can't get in next time. Killing one only clears the territory, and another one will move in before too long.

xx
Cat attack?

Started by Stewart P on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 21:41
by barley
xx
Fox attack

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2016, 17:43
by danfinn1
xx
Fox attack

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 17:46
by Sweetbriar
xx
Fox Attack - HELP!

Started by chickenlittle80 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 18:04
by Sassy

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 40 queries.