Pepper Question

• 6 Replies

AndyArch

Pepper Question
« on: May 07, 2015, 08:20 »
I sowed some mini bell peppers at the start of April and they have germinated but as yet they only have their seed leaves, is this normal? I have a heated indoor propagator that I germinated them in and wondered if I should leave them in this or put them on a south facing windowsill.

My chilli peppers (Apache) were started mid March and they are doing very well on the windowsill with about 2/3 inches of growth.

Thanks

BabbyAnn

Re: Pepper Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:02 »
I sowed some mini bell peppers at the start of April and they have germinated but as yet they only have their seed leaves, is this normal?

Not sure what it was like where you live but April was so much warmer and sunny here that it does surprise me they are still only at seed leaf stage.  A south facing windowsill would be ideal rather than bottom heat - they'll need some warmth but should be air temperature.

It could be the age of seed - I did find some of my older stuff was slow at germinating and for getting a move on.  Just persevere a little longer and I'm sure they'll put a spurt on.  You could try watering them with a weak seaweed solution as it contains growth hormones which I found very helpful for some of the stubborn ones.

EDIT:  just realised you said you sowed them at the start of April ... when did they germinate? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:54 by BabbyAnn »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:59 »
They do take some time to get going after they have germinated, but should take off pretty soon.

Warm and good light, plus a half strength feed of anything you have to hand will do no harm.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AndyArch

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 13:17 »
BabbyAnn - they germinated after about 2 weeks so think that was about 20th April. They look strong enough but expected to see the first set of true leaves by now.

Will try to give them a feed and pop them onto the windowsill.

Steve_LF

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 13:42 »
Mine have been going for a good month or so now but are only a couple of inches high, they have plenty of leaves though. 

They really do like the heat so mine never really get going until mid to late may.

My scotch bonnet bought from ASDA last year has overwintered though  :D, first time I've ever managed that (although I just left it in the green house without any maintenance, so got lucky).

good luck.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 14:02 »
I don't want to highjack Andys thread but I was going to ask if my peppers will fruit this year as they are just at the true leaf stage, never grown peppers before, cheers Dave NE
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 17:50 »
Andy: Do your plants have a growing point between the seed leaves? I had a couple of peppers which were "blind". The others went ahead and have got lots of leaves (and have had the tops pinched out) but a couple never got started so were chucked.

xx
Sweet Pepper question

Started by Spudman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 13:00
by Stevens706
xx
another chili/pepper question

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 20:36
by sunshineband
clip
What pepper is this?

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 09:15
by Mr Dog
xx
First pepper

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 09:26
by Willow_Warren

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 36 queries.