Keeping Chickens for Eggs

• 5 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« on: February 20, 2007, 14:16 »
We are seriously considering keeping chickens in the back garden as a source of eggs.  
What we lack is expertise and would like to know if anyone can recommend a good book to ensure we have everything covered before we move onto the task of buying hens.
Also has anyone had birds from an organisation called The Battery Hen Welfare Trust (www.thehenhouse.co.uk) who are a charity who help re-home ex-battery hens?  Is this a viable way of starting with chickens or should we purchase healthy year old birds and leave the saving battery hens to experts?
We want a small quiet breed of hen that the children could look after - any suggestions welcomed.
Regards

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 14:23 »
hiya rugby mate . can i suggest you read my posting on keeping chickens in the  no sentiment thrread . this wil give you an idea of hat you are looking at .then you can decide on what breed you want .battery hens are ok but they have had a very rough start in life and can cause more problems than buying free home birds .i would say get soem bought in birds and then decide later when you have the knowledge behind you .yes battery birds are only 50p each but the other costs that you could be getting into and the bad luck when you lose them through illness and stress .  decide what you want from the posts in the poultry pages and then ask more questions , for egg production hybrids are the way in my book , i wont tell you i keep welssummers cos i love em tho  :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 14:49 »
I know lots of people who have rescue birds from BHWT.  They are all checked by a vet before being re-homed.  They can be difficult to look after to begin with, but a very worth while thing to do giving them a happy end to their lives.  Some will live and produce for years more.

Munty loves welssummers so they must be good.  My little red hen Gerty is the best layer of the two.  In the last 14 months they have laid 700 eggs between them  :shock:

If you get hens in your back garden you will wonder why you didn't do it before  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 16:36 »
IMHO you won't go wrong with hybrids bought at point of lay, expect 1 egg a day per bird in the spring summers months, there laying is dependent on daylight  length and a good diet not temp.
But 1st read Muntjac's blog it's well worth the read, as for books "starting with chickens" by katie thear seems a popular choice and only about £4 on amazon, If you can find a copy of "food from your garden" by the readers digest thats a good book on hens, bees, wine and veg, look in the local chaz shops as I don't think it's in print any more.
I'm just contemplating keeping some for meat, now I've got used to layers.
Good luck but most of all enjoy, we have found they are very entertaining   :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Des C

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:02 »
Hi there Rugbymad,
Welcome to our world!
I'm a relative newcomer who has been keeping hens for a few months now.  I have three Rhode Island Red / Sussex crosses, a Maran and a Welsummer. They are really no trouble to keep and we average 3 -4 eggs per day. Keep reading everything you see on this site, particularly Muntjac's advice which is no-nonsense, sensible stuff.
If you want hens and you've got the space, just do it. I wish I had started up years ago. One piece of advice I would give a fellow beginner is to get a shed or large (min 4' x 4') coop and not the dinky little thing I bought for £200 which is soon to be relegated to a broody coop. It will pay off when it comes to flexibility and cleaning etc. Good Luck.
Des C

p.s O'Driscoll is fit for Croke Park!!!

sorrel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 09:38 »
Hi rugby,

Chickens are great to keep - if you want them for  LOTS of eggs try a hybrid   (eg Bovans Goldline) these are also placid.   However my kids prefer the araucana and buff orpington (basically because they are very placid and pretty)... Me Well i like barred plymouth rocks, welsummers and marans  ,,, I guess what you choose is really down to personal preference..  I think they are probably the easiet animals i have ever kept ...  The only thing i would warn is they are addictive (so when thinking of housing, always go for larger than you anticipate needing)   when I got my first 6 I thought that would be enough.....  mmmm Now got 15 laying , 3 teenagers and 8 chicks.  

As for books i found the Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens by Esther vernoef quite good....  I also know the katie thear books are popular (but the one i read was a little to basic)

Good luck
Starting from scratch............

xx
Keeping Eggs!

Started by stujem on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 14:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
Keeping nest box for eggs only!

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 10:22
by andreadon
xx
keeping broody eggs moist

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 14:30
by PaulineM
smiley
new to keeping chickens

Started by jony worrall on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 09:12
by toasted

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 33 queries.