Recommend chilli peppers

• 11 Replies

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
Recommend chilli peppers
« on: January 09, 2011, 19:06 »
Hi all,

Im going to try growing some chillies this year, can anyone advise me please on the tastiest variety of chilli, NOT the hottest, as l dont want to burn my mouth out :ohmy:, but do like the taste of chilli  :D.

Thanks in advance,

Silky :).
Talking to yourself maybe MAD, but at least I know what I mean.
You never stop learning.

TheSpartacat

Re: Recommend chilli peppers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 20:46 »
Hi, Here's a list that you might find helpful:
http://dartmoorchillifarm.co.uk/chilli/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_156

I've grown Santa Fe, Black Hungarian and some Mild Jalapenos which are great for stuffing with cheese- would recommend any of them tbh

EDIT: Oh I forgot- I'd also really recommend Anaheim. Lovely peppers!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 20:50 by TheSpartacat »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 21:22 »
Im going to try growing some chillies this year, can anyone advise me please on the tastiest variety of chilli, NOT the hottest, as l dont want to burn my mouth out :ohmy:, but do like the taste of chilli  :D.

It does depend on your personal tolerance level, but I'd say Cayenne is pretty mild and quite easy to grow, though you won't get a huge crop per plant because they are quite big chillis. My new favourite as of last year is Superchilli. I got a massive crop from each plant, small chillis with a nice medium sort of heat level, and they were very easy to germinate and grow. I had them in a cold greenhouse, so they were sheltered but not heated in any way, and they carried on cropping right up to the start of winter.

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 22:33 »
Hi, thanks very much for the info, when would be the best time to plant them? as l understand they need a long season.

Thanks again

Silky.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 22:46 »
I like Purple Tiger because as well as being a lovely chilli  it makes a beautiful pot plant with it's colourful variegated purple cream foliage. The chillies are purple but turn bright red.   

I really like Lemon Drop too as it's easy to grow (as is Purple Tiger) and it's prolific. The fruits are rather large and abundant which is good news  :)

TheSpartacat

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 23:41 »
If you mean sowing from seed- they need plenty of light, so it's too early yet.... I'm gonna start mine about the middle of Feb on a sunny window sill with some tin foil behind them to reflect the light back on them.
I've started them in March before and much of the peppers were still waiting to go red when the frosts came.
You can take them indoors then if you have the space.

fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:29 »
I've started them in March before and much of the peppers were still waiting to go red when the frosts came.
Same here, they do need a long growing season. But by swing in late Feb, I got a great crop last season. Started them off in the back bedroom in Feb with tin foil at the back and sides of them and then transplanted them to the unheated G/house in April.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Yabba

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:30 »
Lemon Drop are my favourite, great flavour and pack a nice punch. Another nice one is meant to be Aji Cristal, growing it for the first time this year so I'll let you know if it lives up to its reputation. Another one I'm growing for the first time is Bulgarian Carrot, meant to taste great and is very prolific.

My favourite snacking chilli is Pepperchino De Padron, they're (usually) very mild and taste great fried in olive oil and dusted with sea salt.

All the rest I'm growing are a tad on the warm side though, so I won't list them ;)

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 13:06 »
If you don't want them too hot, but still want flavour then I would definately recommend Black Hungarian, Lemon Drop (aka Hot Lemon or Aji Limon) and also Cherry Bomb.

If you have a warm spot with plenty of light then I would suggest getting them started now so that you have a long season. If you can't get them much light, though perhaps wait until February.

I started mine in a heated propogater in our South facing conservatory on Dec 27.

Black Hungarian
Hungarian Hot Wax
Cherry Bomb
Orange Cayenne
Chilli Willy (the Mrs got this given as a hen do present!)
Telica (a jalapeno variety)
Friar's Hat
Trinidad 7 Pod
Chocolate Habanero
Big Sun Habanero
Dorset Naga

So far they have all germinated except for the Big Sun.

Yabba

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 13:35 »
Mine went in about 6 days after yours so I'm still doing the "biting finger nails" bit. ;)

So far I've got 2 paper lanterns, 3 T. Scorpions, 1 Fatali, 6 Peruvian White Habs ( found 2 I didn't know I'd sown :tongue2: ) and 3 Limo's germinated. :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 18:51 »
I agree Cayenne would be a good starting point, with not too much heat and good sized chillis. We were given some Apache chillis this year by a friend who grew them, they have a lovely flavour and as the fruits were quite small the extra bit of warmth wasn't a problem.

We're growing these two this year along with Hot Stuff and Chocolate Habanero.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 19:21 »
Thanks again everyone, alot of useful info to get me started, looks like cayenne to start & a couple of others, now where was l, eny meany miney mo. :D :D :D

Silky.

xx
Anyone recommend some Chilli seeds

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 13, 2014, 07:56
by adri123
xx
chilli Peppers Hot!!!!

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 17:24
by mattwragg94
xx
Chilli peppers

Started by gregmcalister on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 06:26
by Sadgit
xx
Chilli Peppers

Started by Chris B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 16:13
by mr Isaccs

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 37 queries.